is a catted X or a catted H better?

slvrgt

May 17, 2005
i just started getting into fixin up my car, and i put the flowmaster super 40's and i love the way they sound, but i want to make it louder lots of people are tellin me to get a bassani X pipe but will that make it sound kinda ricy? and would the H pipe sound more like a muscle car

• Sponsors (?)

slvrgt said:
i just started getting into fixin up my car, and i put the flowmaster super 40's and i love the way they sound, but i want to make it louder lots of people are tellin me to get a bassani X pipe but will that make it sound kinda ricy? and would the H pipe sound more like a muscle car

The search button is your friend... But to answer your question. If you want a more exotic nascar like sound, get the x pipe, if you want traditional muscle car rumble, especially with your Flowmasters, get the h pipe.

well I have a hard time seeing how a o/r x and flow would ever sound ricy. I have never heard anything with a v8 and flows that I confused with rice.

I think people say anything is rice if they don't like it.

It will be a little raspy sounding some pople like it some don't. I think flows sound raspy by nature even with an h-pipe.

I would not buy bassani catted pipe as I have read a horror story about gettign a cat warantied.

look at VRS, magnaflow, slp as well if you want stainless.

you wont lose hp with the h pipe. anything you go to over the stock will gain hp. if you want a muscle car sound the h is the way to go. I have heard many x pipes and while they dont sound ricey they do however sound raspy and I just dont like it. thats just my opinion.

BadMoFo said:
you wont lose hp with the h pipe. anything you go to over the stock will gain hp. if you want a muscle car sound the h is the way to go. I have heard many x pipes and while they dont sound ricey they do however sound raspy and I just dont like it. thats just my opinion.

:stupid: If you have a 2v and flowmasters dont even think about it just go with the H-pipe. As far as performance there is barely any if any difference in performance between an H and X. You might see a little more up top with the X but you will see more down low and in the mid with the H.

hognutz said:
I would not buy bassani catted pipe as I have read a horror story about gettign a cat warantied.

bassani X here for 9 months, no problems with my cats whatsoever. bassani is one of the best in the business, if anything i would just say dont get a BBK X pipe. just because one person had a bad experience doesnt make the product a piece of junk :notnice:

slvrgt said:
yea, im not to crazy about the popping

This I don't think is just an X pipe causing it.

All these guys go on about raspy X pipes and Muscle car H pipes, well I've down loaded loads of vids and mp3's of loads of different combo's, and they are all slightly different but I'm not really convinced its just the H or X pipe being the main cause.

At the end of the day if you want an old school V8 sound then it should be a push rod V8 not an OHC like the 4.6, surly this would have a bigger bearing on sound than the shape of the mid pipe??

Having said that, my V12 OHC Jaguar engine sounds uncannly like a Mopar 440 now I have removed some of the silencers :shrug: .

But the rest of the car/engine setup should also affect the sound, my TR7 V8 has rally spec exhasut manifolds (headers) into a single system via a Y pipe, these are lighter than dual setups and give as much (maybe more) power, single silencer and no cats (not needed in the UK for this model year). This setup is the same as the works rally cars, it used to pop on the back throttle and even spit flames out the back - which was really cool.

But after a carb and cam change it no longer does this, it still pops but a different sound and the exhaust is also much deeper (can still be heard 1/2 mile away though :D ).

So I reckon just choose a brand and get it fitted, I'm sure you'll be happy no matter what.

just a little off topic

hognutz said:
well I have a hard time seeing how a o/r x and flow would ever sound ricy. I have never heard anything with a v8 and flows that I confused with rice.

I think people say anything is rice if they don't like it.

It will be a little raspy sounding some pople like it some don't. I think flows sound raspy by nature even with an h-pipe.

Dude, you just nailed it. I think people say anything is rice if they don't like it. This is so true. I am amazed at the ignorance of so many 'stangers' in these forums. If you do not like something you have the right to express your opinion, but try to avoid insulting someone else. If someone likes euro style headlights on his stang then let him install them. If he wanted to go rice then I bet you that he would have a civic with a fartcan.

As for this topic, I have a SLP catted X with a Borla catback. It is loud but unfortunately raspy as well. It rumbles nice while cruising and really wakes up around 3.5k rmp. If I go WOT it gets very raspy and I will go out and get a catted H instead this summer. To each his own though. My cup of coffee might not be yours.....