Fox Is it normal to be paranoid your gaskets will leak?

James V

5 Year Member
Feb 26, 2017
Connecticut
Finishing up my kenne bell install, put on a new water pump, thermostat, lower intake. Now I'm worried when I start the car and run it I'll have leaks. Anyone else get that feeling? Any horror stories?

• Sponsors (?)

Yup!!!! It's an almost 60 year old engine design that does not use composite gaskets. It takes years to develop sure fire techniques to get these gaskets not to leak. Even those aren't full proof.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
I used to worry, but now I use "The Right Stuff" and have never had a leak. I do stress over it though......

I just did a new fuel pump, new fuel lines and I am beyond paranoid that something will "pop loose" and burn my car to the ground. :eek:

Chris

Finishing up my kenne bell install, put on a new water pump, thermostat, lower intake. Now I'm worried when I start the car and run it I'll have leaks. Anyone else get that feeling? Any horror stories?
This is why I always like to run straight water on first startup. Leaks don’t piss me of as much lol.
I used to worry, but now I use "The Right Stuff" and have never had a leak. I do stress over it though......

I just did a new fuel pump, new fuel lines and I am beyond paranoid that something will "pop loose" and burn my car to the ground. :eek:

Chris

I’m with you on the fuel lines. When I run new AN lines I’m always weary of the possibility of leaks, and have had then before. Usually if you‘re careful on assembly everything goes smooth though.
The Real scary leaks are the ones that materialize later, like when everything’s at full temp sitting in traffic lol.

Chris

This for sure. I just did a complete new fuel system, but put as few fittings in as possible. Will prime the system and check everything, then again after running for a while before the car goes on the road. There's too much work into this one to let it burn up.

I did use "the right stuff" but now I wonder if I didnt put enough on or if I shifted the lower intake too much when lowering it down. Fingers crossed its good.
When putting lower intakes on, or any intake, I use long studs in four positions to make sure the intake goes straight down and won't shift anything. When the rest of the bolts are in, the studs get replaced with bolts.

Reactions: 4 users
Yep... normal. On top of that: I've always admired the dudes that can slap a motor together with perfect indifference and have it come out as matter-of-fact as you please while all my hair pulling and finger wringing results in " WTF :fuss: ".

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Just completed a 4 lug rear disc upgrade on my 93GT, won't be driving it till spring.
Going to be a SLOW initial test run , praying everything functions as it should.
I do have a working E-brake just in case.

I'm not cocky just confident in knowing even if it leaks I can fix it.This comes from daily driving my 93 LX for 12.5 years,and all repairs I do need to get done so I can get to work.So far I've been
blessed.

I'm not cocky just confident in knowing even if it leaks I can fix it.This comes from daily driving my 93 LX for 12.5 years,and all repairs I do need to get done so I can get to work.So far I've been
blessed.

I will one day tell you a story about a boy and his Mustang that came and went to a dyno to get tuned on 3 separate occasions and pissing oil all over the floor on 2 of those :suicide:

Not if you use a good RTV like The Right Stuff or Permatex grey.

Had the little gasket at back of small block intake squeeze out and leak a giant puddle in super market parking lot.

Never tried to use a gasket there again.

Some have it worse
car-in-huge-puddle.jpg
I May or may not have leaked this puddle

• Haha
The Right Stuff

Two snaps up for "The Right Stuff"
1581362245408.png

Definitely one of the best gasket makers and has the added benefit of not "gluing" everything together in such a way that it won't come back apart.

It's hard to keep on-hand though. Shelf life isn't the greatest. I'd prefer a two-part version and mix tube although the cheeze-whiz can is awful handy so.... it's a wash :shrug:

I use the aerosol right stuff. It seals itself after use. Uncork it and it's ready to work again.

I always worry about leaks after an engine build or major work. I guess it's because most of the work I do is for other people. Can't have them messing up their nice garage floors.