Is it true a third brake light is required by law?

svtash

Sep 30, 2004
Vista, CA
As the title says I want to know if this is true or not because I really like the CDC spoiler but dont want to put it on and get stripes and then get a ticket and have to take it off and find a new one. So if anyone knows I would parreciate the answer.

• Sponsors (?)

svtash said:
As the title says I want to know if this is true or not because I really like the CDC spoiler but dont want to put it on and get stripes and then get a ticket and have to take it off and find a new one. So if anyone knows I would parreciate the answer.

Stolen from another site

A center brake light that is mounted higher than the two taillights. Automakers often abbreviate this as CHMSL, or center high-mounted stop lamp. If a specialty product and accessory (e.g., a truck cap or a headache rack) covers a factory third brake light, it must have a new one built in.

and
Center High Mounted Stop Lamps (CHMSL) have been standard equipment on all new passenger cars sold in the United States since model year 1986 and all new light trucks since model year 1994, as required by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108.

So yes.. you have to have a CHMSL

If you cover or remove the CHMSL, you are in violation of the law. Period. In the same way you would be in violation of the law if you disabled the brake lights or turn signals.

bigcat said:
no it is required that the car maker puts them on. you can customize the car how you want....

Sorry no.... if the Fed regs require it.. Your stuck with it for ever. What you do and get away with is another question.

I wouldn't worry so much about getting a ticket as I would about some ambulance-chasing lawyer who claims his client ran into you because your brake light was covered up. Think it can't happen? Think again.

As mentioned, all cars 86 and up require a third brake light. You can remove it if you like, but you won't pass your state inspection without it. If a cop is behind you, he may pull you over for not having it, as it's a pretty important safety feature.

With that said, I don't run one on my 05 with the CDC spolier.

GT-03 said:
The same person who will give you a ticket for having a burned out brake lamp. :rolleyes:

Man you are right.. And just what is that Law Enforcement Officer doing… enforcing the law……..what a crock…. :rolleyes:

But you are right..It's the same guy :rlaugh: (he hands out fix it tickets for no mud flaps on a 78 Bronco also :mad: )

That sux! Thanks for the info guys appreciate it. Guess Ill have to get a different ducktail then.

I wish more cops would hand out ticket to all those lifted trucks and SUV's for not having mudflaps. They cause too many cracked windshields when people think they are too cool to put them on.

svtash said:
That sux! Thanks for the info guys appreciate it. Guess Ill have to get a different ducktail then.

From above

CDC sells a brake light kit for $45. It mounts high inside on your rear window. It is an LED unit and you can't see it until you hit the brakes.

That should solve any issue you have with the brake light

Anyone have a picture of what the CDC 3rd brake light kit looks like from inside the car? Detailed pictures would be great. I think I like their ducktail the best (without the pony emblem).

http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com/catalog/itemdisplay/652.html

3rdBrakeLight.jpg