is my AOD transmission shot??

85cleangtvert

May 19, 2005
i just got a 87 gt with and automatic. it has been sitting for a number of years. at first it would only go into 1st and 2nd. then on the freeway driving it , i had the rpms up , because i was trying to make it home with the car without having it towed and it finally kicked into 3rd... same story in 3rd, had the rpms high in 3rd going about 75-80 and finally the overdrive kicks in... this morning i checked the fluid , it looks good and full ... supposively the car has only 114K but who knows, thats what the guy told me... i got it for cheap and its on the edge of being parted out but if i could get the tranny working better i would ride it around for the summer ... i went to drive it today and experienced the same thing... it has trouble getting into 3rd and od... do you guys think a new filter/fluid will do anything or just a waste of money? is there anything else that could be out of adjustment that is making it not shift right or is it just burnt out clutches/ something else? ... let me know what you guys think , thanks!

• Sponsors (?)