is my fuel pump dead?

Went to the store today and the car was running fine. When I was goin to leave it only started for about 5 seconds then sputtered out. My gas guage showed a little below 1/4 tank, so I called my friend and had him bring me some gas. Put 5 gallons in, gauge shwed 1/2 tank, but car still didn't start. I didn't notice it at the time because I wasn't in the greatest of moods but I never once heard the fuel pump prime.

Had the car towed home and I checked for fuel pressure by pressing in the schrader valve by the alt. with a screwdriver. Nothing came out, didn't even hear a hiss of air. I just put a new 1 over summer, but is it possible that something came out of the tank and clogged the fuel filter? Would this cause the pump to see pressure and not prime the system? I checked the inertia switch and it's fine.

I think I mentioned pretty much everything that needs to be said. I'm on spring break till sunday and NEED the car back on the road before then. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

check the fuel pump fuse in the power distribution fuse box under the hood cavity number 11, 20 amp yellow fuse if you have problems locating fuse look under the cap for fuse diagram.the power distribution fuse box is located under the hood between battery and master cylinder mounted to fender...also check fuse in cavity # 13 it is also wired to the fuel pump...

Both fuses are good. I searched around on here and found somethin called the CCRM. Not sure exactly how to check it but there are no hot wires goin to my fuel pump or inertia switch. Anyone know how to check this thing? Tried gettin the harness going to it unplugged but it wouldn't budge and since its like 20 degrees outside I was afraid to pull any harder than I already am.

P.S. the stupid ****in wind blew my hudd up and the prop rod popped out fell and scratched the **** outta my fender when the hood closed. :notnice:

I was the one with the CCRM problem. In my case, it was intermittent - car would restart without any problems. Once the problem got bad enough, my mechanic was able to track down the issue to the CCRM.

Unfortunately, since I didn't do the diagnostic work I can't really help you much. Best I can do is point you to the CCRM - it's the equiptment bolted to the bracket holding the overflow bottle on.

I'm not too patient in tracking down electrical problems so I had it towed to the stealership. $460, a new fuel pump, sending unit and fuel pump relay and the cars back up running. They had it for 22 hrs. I don't feel as ripped off as I thought I would.