Is this an exhaust leak? Video inside...

NIKwoaC

中國製造
15 Year Member
Oct 31, 2006
Chengdu Province
Sorry guys, I'm tone deaf. WTF is this sound? I thought an exhaust leak was more of a pitter patter... What is this?

Some info:
Car seems to be running fine, vitals look good. Drove it all day today, nothing seems to be acting up, just this strange sound that is barely audible from inside the car. Best I can figure is that it is coming from the driver's side, and isn't there at idle. It only comes on when I rev it up, and if I'm not mistaken, seems to be loudest as the engine is decelerating.

Let me know what you think.

The 86 :: 2010-08-19155252.mp4 video by nikwoac - Photobucket

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like a blow off valve ! No really, the high pitch sound when you give it gas might be your mass air whistling a bit (as some are known to do), unless it's a new sound. The other sound, like a wabling noise, could very well be a bearing going bad and when it finds the RPM that makes it unhappy you get the sound. Check your water pump in particular, I've heard them do that before.

Sounds like a blow off valve ! No really, the high pitch sound when you give it gas might be your mass air whistling a bit (as some are known to do), unless it's a new sound. The other sound, like a wabling noise, could very well be a bearing going bad and when it finds the RPM that makes it unhappy you get the sound. Check your water pump in particular, I've heard them do that before.

least im not alone in hearing 2 sounds lol

sounds like a bad bearing to me as well. almost identical when my bearings in my alt. took a ****.

but if the sound is still there when the belt is off the I dunno

could be a throw out bearing. does it make noise with the clutch pushed in while revving the motor?

I guess I'll try that...?

or it could be the starter motor going bad

This one doesn't even make sense. Besides, the starter is practically brand new.

I know exaclty what that noise is, if you listen REALLY closely you'll hear...

"Area swap me, i dont want to be ugly any more..."

:D

Hahaha, you a-hole. :D

Ive heard that exact noise before on a 88' i used to have. believe it or not, I had a valve guide that went bad. It ended up causing tons of excess play(obviously) and the sound echoed pefectly out of the #2 header tube.