Is this flywheel usuable?

Hello, I stupidly hit my flywheel with a hammer putting in the dowel pins. Should I have this resurfaced or just use it? Just in a rush to get the car back together.
Snapchat-1795877721.jpg
Snapchat-996781942.jpg
Snapchat-1685097464.jpg
Snapchat-1361955358.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

The correct Answer is-Yes...You should have it resurfaced.
The Me personally what I would do answer is-I’d smooth the edges of the hit spot down with emery cloth and install it.. :shrug:
oh and Welcone to Stangnet
:SN:

Reactions: 1 user
If I were in your same shoes I would rely upon the opinion of my local machinist. It often helpful to have a good relationship with a trusted machinist.

I would also be researching possible replacement sources. For example car-part.com.

Last edited:
The Me personally what I would do answer is-I’d smooth the edges of the hit spot down with emery cloth and install it.. :shrug:
I had a similar occurence years ago and did just that, no problems for the 30k'ish I put on it until I sold it. I probably wouldn't feel comfortable doing so if it was a highly modified engine. I don't think it would affect the balance, spawn major cracks(if smoothed well) or tear up the the friction surface, but alas it is only an opinion based on my limited experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Same opinion here. Smooth and run. And keep that waffle head hammer away from car parts! :D

I'd take it to the machine shop and have them skim it to knock the high spots out. I wouldn't be worried about totally eliminating the divot, especially if it was deep. Just ensure the high spots are gone.