Is this Mustang Going to be a Good Daily Driver for Me?

RED2001GT

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Mar 18, 2003
Is this Mustang Worth Buying?

I found a 1987 Mustang 2.3L 4 cylinder automatic Hatchback with 118,000 original miles for $950 or B/O. This particular car has been in the same family since it was brand new. The original elderly owner purchased it brand new and put 61,000 miles on the car. When she died, her teenage granddaughter was given the car and she had it for 2 years and then she gave it to her sister who had it for another 5 years.

The body is clean with a few surface rust spots on the underneath of the rear hatchback and the lower rear quarter panels. Other than that the car is clean. The interior is also clean and all original.

The 4 cylinder engine on this particular Mustang is 100% ORIGINAL with 118,000 original miles on it. It has NEVER been rebuilt and the seller/owner says that it doesn't burn any oil. He told me that he sometimes puts 1/2 quart of oil in the engine once in a while every 3,000 miles between oil changes. Does adding 1/2 quart of oil once in a while every 3,000 miles between oil changes indicate that the engine is burning oil. The seller says that there are no oil leaks and that the engine does not burn any oil. Should I believe this? Do you think that the engine burns oil if this occurs?
Also, the rear end is 100% Original and the seller says that it works well and that it was NEVER replaced.

All the work that was done & all the Parts that has been replaced on this particular Mustang within the last 3 to 4 years are:

1. Totally Rebuilt Automatic Transmission which is 2 years old.
2. Brand new Timing belt done at 80,000 or 85,000 miles.-->(The car now has 118,000 miles on it.)
3. Brand new Radiator
4. All Brand new hoses
5. Brand new heater Core which is 4 years old & cost $250 to replace.
6. Brand new front and rear U-Joints.
7. Newer front shocks that are 5 years old
8. Front end Alignment was done a few years ago.
9. The 2 Rear shocks are older shocks, but were replaced when grandmother owned the car before she died.
10. The oil has always been changed every 3,000 miles. The owner has NEVER used synthetic oil in the engine.
11. New front tires
12. Rear tires are not newer but a few years old with decent tread on them.
13. Brand new brake lines done 4 to 5 years ago.
14. Brand new brake job done a few years ago, but I don't remember when.

Well, what do you think? The seller says that he has always maintained this car for his 2 daughters and that the car is a good daily driver. He also told me that his mother-in-law also always maintained the car when she used to own it.
What usually goes wrong with the 2.3L 4 cylinder engine on the 1987 Mustang? Are these engines reliable? How many miles do you think that this engine will last before it needs to be rebuilt? I don't want to buy this particular car and then have to rebuild the engine after 6 months to 1 year. I want this car to be my daily driver for 2 to 3 years. I will not be putting many miles on the car if I purchase it. It will be used for local driving and some local highway driving.

Do you think that this car is going to be a money pit? I am looking for a Mustang that's going to be a daily driver that's NOT going to be a MONEY PIT. I don't want to purchase the car and end up spending hundreds of dollars for new repairs. I want to be able to drive the car without having to do expensive repairs to it like engine, rear end, head gaskets, ect..
I don't have a lot of money and I want to make sure that this car will be reliable and worth it if I decide to purchase it.
Do you think that this particular 1987 4 cylinder Mustang is a good quality daily driver to purchase for around $950 without it being a money pit?
Tell me what I should look out for & if you think that this car is worth purchasing with all the work that the seller has done to it? Are there any red flags that I should be aware of regarding the repairs on this particular Mustang?

• Sponsors (?)

Okay I will.
Sorry about the double posting.

Please tell me all that you can about all the information that I've given to you above in my previous post about the 1987 Mustang 2.3L automatic that I'm going to look at. I would like to know if this car is going to be reliable with all the work that the owner has put into it. I don't want to purchase this car and have problems with it. I'm hoping that it's going to be a decent daily driver without any problems.
Thanks

I would say "go for it" if it weren't for the fact that it was an automatic.

First off, the A4LD behind the 2.3's is notorious for grenading. I'd be asking how the maintenence schedule for the transmission was, as if it has had regular fluid & filter changes that will help it lead a longer life. Maybe someone with an automatic can chime in here and tell you more.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry one bit about the car. The engine sounds perfectly normal for having that many miles, hell the one in my old '90 was worse than that (you had to add a quart every 1500 miles).

Anyway, while my '90 was a 5-speed, it was relatively trouble-free the entire time I owned it. I bought it with 72K and retired it with 156K. During the time I drove it (every day), it never left me stranded once, and I had to replace the water pump, wiper motor, and alternator...along with a couple chassis parts (ball joint, tie rod end, etc). It also got 30 mpg before I cracked the head (afterward it only got about 25).

Was a good car though, in fact I'd like to get another 2.3L Mustang as a daily driver...

This is one of the best damn automobiles ever produced. Buy it immediately. In summary:

It's a Ford Mustang. It's a proven and dependable vehicle in all respects.

Its a used car, in the $1000 or less range and it runs.

Figure that you may need to spend 2-500 on it within a few months, and you will have a car that you can use, and get good mileage with for the rest of your life!

The only downside to the car is that the auto trans is not as durable as, perhaps a C6 would be, but if it works, just don't dog the car and it should be fine. I replaced mine for $125, and its worked for a year. You will also need the ac switched to 134. Consider changing the timing belt.

The 89 that we got for $500 for our 16 year old, has been great. It showed 134,000 miles at purchase. It goes to high school every day, and makes at least one weekly 150 mile trip on the interstate for her. It's been that reliable. The ac has 134 and works great. Also gets 20 to 25 mpg. It does leak some oil, but that does bother me. Any used car of that age and service will need to have stuff checked weekly or so, at least until you learn it's habits.

It also turns out that there is a hugh world of informal, and exceptionally comprehensive technical support for it. This site and several others have people who can, and will, tell you how to fix, modify or deal with nearly any part of the car. And parts are readily availble.

In conclusion: Its a Ford Mustang, buy it!

i love my '93 2.3. mines a 5spd though but it now has 147xxx miles on her and runs like new, i dont even have to add any oil between oil changes suprisingly. im only the 3rd owner too and the last owners had a lot of service records and new parts. i drive about 30 miles a day and a 600 mile trip every month and ive never had any problems with it. i have done the regular things like tune-up, brakes, tires, tranny and diff fluid change, radiator flush and a/c conversion, cleaned it up really nice when i got it and i get compliments all the time on how good it looks and runs for being 13 year old. parts are cheap and easy to find, gets good mileage, is a mustang, reliable. apart that your tranny might give you a headache later. i say go for it

BELL said:
well before i answer your question go and delete the forum in the tech section, double posting is highly frowned upon
haha im sure he rushed right over there and did that.....:hail2: :nonono:
but anyway the acceptable standard is 1qt between oil changes...i would offer them 800 for it.....

I ended up not being able to drive the 2 hours to view and purchase the vehicle. I had to work and was very tired to drive 2 hours one way to check out the car.

The car was located down in Cape Cod. I didn't purchase the car because I really wanted a 5 speed manual transmission. Plus, I already own 2 Mustangs, a 2002 V6 and a 2001 GT. I am trying to cut down my expenses. Gasoline costs more now than it ever did and I cannot afford to pay insurance for another car. I thank God for the 2 Mustangs that I currently own right now.