Is this normal behavior for a Spec Stage I clutch?

Craig Mack

Busted Buffing the Bishop
Founding Member
Mar 9, 2002
Lake Mary, FL
It's been on my car for about 3000 miles now. There are a few things that I find funky about it.

1) Since day one, i've gotten a strong burning smell when I let out the clutch under "high revvs". For instance, when I rolled my car into a big machine at the tranny shop, I revved to about 2600rpm and let out the clutch slowly to get over the big bumps. Everytime I do something like this, I get a NASTY burning smell from the clutch. I called up SPEC and they told me its normal for these clutches since they are made mostly of metal and kevlar. It always happens whenever I "ride" the clutch into first though.

2) Horrible vibration from clutch pedal. I know i've read about this, and know it's the fingers on my pressure plate not lining up straight. Why is it doing that though? My stock clutch was smooth as butter. The vibration and audible chatter, plus the grinding noise thats audible sounds nasty and is driving me insane.

3) Slippage - At first, the clutch grabbed INSTANTLY. I loved the strong feel. As time went by, it eventually got softer and softer, both in pedal feel and shifts. It's not slipping persay, but it doesn't grab into each gear nearly as hard as it did around 500-1200 miles. I romped on it once or twice after a couple hundred miles with the clutch, but overall was very easy on it. It's gotten to the point where I don't even get a squeek from the tires into second on a WOT shift. (although, that could be the 18x10.5 w/295/35 tires, but still :shrug: )

Thanks in advanced for the help...

• Sponsors (?)

Do a search on the vibration...a lot of people have it, as do I...TxSnakecharmer came up with a fix for it on his webpage...it pulls the clutch fork away from the throw out bearing just slightly...

Here's the page for that...it's about halfway down...http://www.shane.roberts.net/quad.htm

And you may want to get a UPR or Steeda firewall adjuster and quadrant for the other things...I know it'll help on the slippage feeling...

I have a spec stage II in mine. The pedal vibration is normal(from what i've heard). I get it, and just ignore it. I'd be a bit worried about the burning smell you get when feathering the clutch at 2600RPM. Keep in mind that the spec clutch is going to require that you feather quicker, which means you gotta give it more gas to get it going. But you definately shouldn't smell the clutch burning. The clutch as a break in period of about 1000 miles. Where it will be real jerky, and it will start to soften. If it continues to soften after this period, I would assume something isn't right. And there definately shouldn't be any slippage. as Missouri_Guy mentioned a Quadrant and Firewall might fix your problem.