Is this original

jws66m

Oct 5, 2018
Utah
So I am trying to determine the history of my car because the car just seems too perfect and would like to know how much of it is original. Not to get into much, just about everything on the car seems to be from day 1. Screws, brackets, colors, overspray, bolts, etc....

The speedo says 11,000+ and I know the car hasn't been rolled over, way to nice of body and zero rust underneath given its age. So I'm guessing maybe 20-25k on the car in total. So I took a picture of the speedo under the dash.

For any of you that know, is the overspray on the speedo an original thing. I would assume it is. I would assume the speedo, brake pedal, etc... were installed and then the interior painted. And yes the paint matches the code of blue interior and blue trim with caspian blue exterior. If the overspray is an original feature then it tells a lot about the car.

Thanks

Attachments

• Under Dash Speedo.jpg
    Under Dash Speedo.jpg
    588.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Sponsors (?)

I would say no ,it is not original . I have taken apart a little over 200 mustangs apart and the only time i have seen over spray like that is a repaint . The air cans ,speedometer and wiring was installed after paint . Look at the emergency brake leaver ,if it has paint on the bolts or the bottom of the leaver it is a repaint ,these are always phosphate bolts and the leaver is always black .
You do find paint over the under coat because that was sprayed before the paint ,most everything else was installed after paint

I would say no ,it is not original . I have taken apart a little over 200 mustangs apart and the only time i have seen over spray like that is a repaint . The air cans ,speedometer and wiring was installed after paint . Look at the emergency brake leaver ,if it has paint on the bolts or the bottom of the leaver it is a repaint ,these are always phosphate bolts and the leaver is always black .
You do find paint over the under coat because that was sprayed before the paint ,most everything else was installed after paint

Thanks,

Guys on other forums are saying the same thing. Thing is. My car looks too good and it doesn't have anything special that would make sense why someone want to repaint the entire inside. Everything is the same factory color inside and out. But what made me think it was original is the overall condition of my car. It does not seem like a car that had been driven so much that it needed to be repainted inside but has literally zero rust underneath it.

These are two original 4 speed pedal assemblies ,one is bare metal and one is black ,i have seen many either painted black or not . You can tell by the bolts they are both original and neither has over spray . I have several underdash wire harnesses and none of them have over spray ,neither do any of my instrument clusters . You will find different color paint dabs on some of the parts ,the colors were codes so assembly line workers new what piece was needed for a certain car
20210803_130422.jpg
20210803_130443.jpg
20210803_130448.jpg
20210803_130726.jpg
20210803_130731.jpg

Thanks,

Guys on other forums are saying the same thing. Thing is. My car looks too good and it doesn't have anything special that would make sense why someone want to repaint the entire inside. Everything is the same factory color inside and out. But what made me think it was original is the overall condition of my car. It does not seem like a car that had been driven so much that it needed to be repainted inside but has literally zero rust underneath it.
Someone just freshened it up ,probably had a few scratches

Reactions: 1 user