Is this problem my Ignition or something else?

xr8d302

I bought a 27" monitor to compensate for my lack o
Apr 29, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Car is bucking, hesitating during acceleration constantly, slowly getting worse, to a point now where the car's not driveable. Watching the tach, it sticks at the same points that the car is hesitating on, the needle's moving along very roughly, bouncing up through the RPM's.

I'm scared to ****. Help.

I still have plug wires, a coil, distributor cap and rotor coming from MSD....and the dizzy is the stock rebuilt unit from last year when my PIP took a ****. Would the new parts be possible to fix the problem, or am I looking at something deeper...

Also, not too long ago, took the wire off my coil to inspect the coil, the contact was dirty...while cleaning it, it felt loose, and I'm sure that's not a good thing.

Anyway, yeah, anything??? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

COIL!!!!!!! Mine was doing the same thing. It would get to a certain rpm, usuall 3500 or so, and just stop, lol. Tach was all over the place, it was crazy. A LITTLE bit of play is normal on the rotor, I wouldn't worry about it, unless it's more than a little.

EDIT: Whoops, just noticed you said the contact was loose, not the rotor. The contact on the coil is loose? That can't be good. I'd bet money that it's the coil.

If the end of the contact wont screw back down (some do on some cars, like the end of a spark plug), I am with Chris all the way. That is not good. Plus the tach gets its signal from negative side of the coil, so that could be causing issues.

Good luck.