It begins again.... restarting project

Swede958

Founding Member
Dec 17, 2001
Austin, TX
Alrighty.... so with my new college degree in hand (History with Mfg. Tech minor :nice: ) it's time to thrash on the '70 so I can have it at least driving in about 5-6 months. Yeah, I know- GOOD LUCK!! haha

So in the interest of time I've scrapped the major plans I had for the car and have gone back to a bare bones work with most of what I've got type of thing. From the pictures... the goal is to first work on replacing the floorpans that need fixing and the tail light panel which is pretty heinous. I'm not sure if the picture will show the damage on the driver quarter panel, but it looks like gravel. I'm still up in the air about repairing the original panel or cutting it out and trying to weld in the replacement I picked up cheap a while back... not sure i'm up for that big of job yet.

I think I'm planning on sending the doors, fenders, hood, and valences out to be blasted (local shop quoted me about $250)... I don't have enough to have the whole body blasted, so I'll tackle that by hand.

Here's the plan:
New floorpans (possible through floor subframes linking both rails... since I'm at it)
New taillight panel
Fill holes unused holes in engine bay.
Coat interior and as much exterior underbody as I can with POR-15 or similar product.
DIY lizard skin with some insulation mat brand
Reuse most interior stuff
New heat/ac unit (because stock is huge and not sure I want to get back with the vacuum switch panel, and the blower motor _new_ kept blowing fuses)
New wiring harness (painless universal trunk mount)
EFI conversion... possibly using the stock motor from my 91LX, plug and play
91 E-150 gas tank (same size as stock +-1"), set up for EFI sending unit/pump
Flush mount aviation style fuel filler on upper quarter panel (ala charger)
License plate over stock fill location... hidden cutoff batt cutoff switch behind it
T-5 or AOD conversion (have both, depends on if I can find clutch pedal/clutch setup)

I think that's about the major parts of it... the rest is just going to be putting it back together.

Here's a pic of what is was...
Thestance.jpg

And here is where it is along with some shots of the floor pans
IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

And the rust
IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

So not alot of info... but maybe since I'm finally posting this and the panels my folks bought me just arrived it will help force me to get my butt in gear :)

Attachments

• Thestance.jpg
    Thestance.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Sponsors (?)

Good job on geting out of college, I just got my degree recently myself.

Looks like you have a lot of work a head. I think if you work hard on it you can get it done in 5 months but you are going to have to dedicate a LOT of time to it. Good luck on that.

Please let us know how that gas tank works out, post some pics once it is in. It would make EFI conversions that much easier for me if I could just buy a stock type tank like that with an in tank pump.

Interesting, the tank fits these cars:
1988 - 1991 E-150 ECONOLINE
1988 - 1991 E-350 ECONOLINE
1988 - 1991 E-250 ECONOLINE
1991 EXPLORER

A 1 year gas tank for the explorer... I wonder if there are any of these floating around in the junk yards...

There was a thread discussing stock tanks that could be used for an EFI app in our classics like maybe 2 years ago. I remember the E350s were mentioned back then. There was never a conclusion made in that thread if I remember correctly.

Haha, that thread about the gas tanks might have been mine :)

Found out Mustang Project (parts house) is located about 20mi north of me... however they don't stock a whole lot of stuff, and no body panels. Oh well... got my taillight panel coming off of ebay.

Here is the plan of attack:
First. Get the car back up on jackstands and weld in braces in doors and through the front of the cabin.
Next, start tackling the floor pans. I've got some full length ones and toe boards. I think I'm just going to section them to what I need and then weld them in.
During (when I get tired of that) or after I will tackle the tailight panel. Again, I think I can get away with just sectioning it and leaving to original top rail from it on the car and patch in the rest.
The hood/fenders/doors/valences/trunk lid will go out for media blasting- this leaves me only one more quarter panel and the roof to really work on taking down. (Still not sure if i should just repair as much as possible and mud it- or tackle replacing the quarter with all the screwy damage)
Next work on refinishing/sealing/soundproofing the inside- get rid of all the surface rust etc and give it a coat of sealer and paint.
After that will probably be getting the body stuff done, light mudding/ block sanding, etc. And then at least a good coat of primer.
Body goes back together or work begins on wiring and minor part assembly.
Next would probably be paint
Finish wiring and begin reassembly. Begin work on modifying / retrofitting EFI and T-5 w/fuel system.
Install Interior.
Finishing items if I have time and money such as: rear disk brakes, side exit exhaust, new hood, MACH 1 foglight grill, etc.

This sound like a pretty decent progression?