Its about that time of year...A/C isn't cold...what needs to be done to fix it...???

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
My A/C works fine but just isn't cold...it has a slight chill to it...not like what it should be...what needs to be done to fix it...recharging, adding freon, etc...I know nothing about a/c so please help me out here...what do I need done?...

Thanks in Advance :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Mine blew cold one night, and warm the next day. Went to Checkers and got the conversion kit. Used 3 cans of R-134 or whatever it's called. Took maybe 30 mins to convert and re-charge the system. No problem since, and she blows ice cold. Comes with necessary fittings and hose. Paid around $35. I would suggest you try this first before taking her in...

Hawaiian5.0 said:
Mine blew cold one night, and warm the next day. Went to Checkers and got the conversion kit. Used 3 cans of R-134 or whatever it's called. Took maybe 30 mins to convert and re-charge the system. No problem since, and she blows ice cold. Comes with necessary fittings and hose. Paid around $35. I would suggest you try this first before taking her in...

Where is the Checkers conversion kit????...and doesn't the conversion have to be certified???? :shrug:

Thanks for the replies... :nice:

Got the kit from Checkers Auto Parts. The kit is made by Interdynamics so you could do a search. The kit is called: 2 Way R-134a Retrofit & Charging Kit. I would think places like Auto Zone or Pep Boyz would have it also. It comes with a sticker you affix under the hood stating: 134a Retrofit Procedure Performed To SAE J1161. Kit has everything you need to convert. Also has 3 cans of refrigerant with oil already mixed in. Took me like 30 minutes tops to do the conversion. Hope this helps!!!

Yes retrofit to a 134-A system. Much cheaper for refrigerant. 134a naturally will not blow as cold as r-12 but the price difference makes up for the 5 degree difference. The kit will come with ESTER oil which works with both r-12 and 134a refer so no issues there. Make sure you get all the r-12 out because r-12 contains clorine which when mixed with 134a turn acidic and will eat through all rubber componets. Dont flush the system, ford recommends not doing this because the r-12 oil has coated the inner wall of the hoses and if you flush this off it will allow the much much smaller 134a particles to seep threw and you will lose charge over a short peroid of time. You may want to get it checked to see if it has a charge in it because just because it does not blow cold, doesn tmean its a low charge. Good luck

If you need a recharge it means that you are leaking freon. It will only get worse. You may as well take your car to an AC shop and have them do the conversion right and then at the same time have them replace all the seals in the system. $200...$300max. Worth every penny. Otherwise, you will have to recharge the system more frequently until it will not hold any freon anymore at all, this happens often and quickly, and you'll have to pay to have the same thing done anyway. If you do have the money its good idea.

when i first bought my car it had no charge
took it in they put a new schrater(sp) valve in it and filled it upw it with r12 and dye so they can find the leaks. it still has the same charge today. i would recomend puting the dye in it when you doit so if you do lose your charge you will know where you lost it.