It's Been A While, I'm Getting The Itch!!

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
15 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
It's been a while since I posted anything in the II forum, so I thought I'd give a little "history" of what's been going on at mi casa! As I have posted in the past, we've picked up 2 more Mustangs, an 87 GT vert and a 67 coupe. We haven't really done anything with the coupe, but the vert has the raggedy top ripped off of it, some wiring issues hammered out and new wheels mounted. But my time has been taken with house projects! We basically had a mother-in-law suite in our basement in which I've been working on the kitchen part of it since around Christmas time. We are more or less turning it into a bar. I am very near the end, I just have to do a little more mud and sanding then spray some texture. I've already installed the cabinets and just installed the counter tops yesterday. All of the cabinets are stock cabinets from Home Depot and once installed look great compared to what was down there initially. Another big project we've had going on is having our driveway paved and a 30x40 garage pad poured. They are almost done with all of the concrete work, they just need to cut a few more control joints on the driveway. Man is it nice to not have to worry about the mud or craters as you come home!! I still have to finish building a retaining wall and I also have to re-deck the bridge at the end of the driveway, but it's already a HUGE improvement!! My wife wants to install an in ground pool next to the garage (I'm not crazy about the pool, too much work in up-keep and I know who's gonna get stuck doing that!), so that will have to be done before I build the garage. We have a bunch of smaller projects that still need to get done as far as the house is concerned, but nothing that we have to get done as a necessity. But now that the driveway and garage pad are both done, I've moved a couple of the cars to the pad (the 67, 87 and our daughter's Kia) which clears some room in the carport where the II is at. I have caught the bug and REALLY want to get it back together now, especially since it won't be a problem leaving the driveway!!! Of course I will have to do some clean-up in the car port since it was jam-packed with stuff since we were doing so much work in different places, but I foresee myself under my car in the next week or so! That and she needs a bath! Southern pollen is no joke! My black car looks green right now!! Anyway, that's what I've been up to, I hope everyone is getting their project done too!!

Garage pad:

26287733982_231dbe306b_c.jpg

New patio:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/G9PYw1] 26354163076_a79446645b_c.jpg

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Gc7ATp] 26380040205_01419d5872_c.jpg

New driveway:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FgRsAi] 25777311333_623211ba8b_c.jpg

26107221400_9cd02343fc_c.jpg

Kitchen/bar (the old sink is just set into place....):

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FgEGzU] 25775212174_3c20d76e47_c.jpg

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Gc7zWp] 26380037015_8509cd2071_c.jpg

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Gc7AjZ] 26380038325_273c765c1e_c.jpg
[/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url]

• Sponsors (?)

So I FINALLY went to the carport yesterday to start to revive the Cobra. I did nothing but fight with the transmission for like 9 hours trying to get it to seat to the bell housing. I pulled it and lifted it to the bell probably 10 or so times, measured at least 4 times, eyeballed into the bell a number of times and even pulled the bearing retainer off and inserted it into the bell by itself, thinking that maybe it was hitting the new clutch disc. After finally giving up (and a lot of swearing!!) I come in the house probably around 8 PM. It dawned on me while I was in the shower, then confirmed through a Google search, that everything is just slightly misaligned because of the cheap plastic alignment tool. I used to have a spare input shaft that I used, but lost that somewhere along the line, so I used the supplied plastic tool. Through searching, I am going to try to disengage the clutch today and see if it will seat. I thought of that while laying under the car, but I've never had an issue installing an SROD or a T5 in this manner. It just felt like it was bottoming out on something. But I'm confident that releasing some of the pressure on the clutch disc to allow it to move will be the answer! I WILL have my car on the road by next weekend!! :mad:

26437240531_1bb7def1af_b.jpg

Releasing the clutch disc did the trick, I should have it running tomorrow!! We spent a lot of time running around to replace a bolt here and there that turned up missing over the past year+ since tearing it down. But everything is buttoned up underneath the car except filling the transmission with oil. Just have to install the new manifold, carb, and radiator, fill it with fluids and it should be up and running!

It's alive! :)
Found out that over the past couple of years that I've lost the front brakes somehow. That's the next project along with a couple of other odds and ends. And she's due for a bath!! Anyway, I've missed this sound! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Took her out for a little ride (to give it a bath, fill the tank, then out to lunch with the wife). Looks like my fuel pump might be on it's way out as the filter sight glass loses all of it's fuel when it's running and it'll die here and there acting either like it's flooded or out of fuel. So, I have a new pump on order for both this and the GT. Also, my front turn signals have disappeared! The hazards work fine as well as the running lights, but no signals. I've tried messing with a couple of the grounds, but they don't seem to help. The rears work fine, so I'm sure that the relay is ok. This one has me stumped for the moment. As for the brakes, I can't find any leaks anywhere! We just finished bleeding them again, we'll see if the pedal gets soft again on the next outing. I'm kinda curious if there's a problem with the master cylinder? I'm wondering if all of the fluid is in my brake booster? Anyway, there's my update for the day - felt good driving it again!

Oh, on a side note, had a couple of young gentlemen stop and ask me about it while I was filling it up. I'm kinda curious when the yearly "You want to sell it?" question comes up? :cool:

(After her bath and back at home...)

25943295754_362cd608a7_c.jpg

One advantage to living in Georgia is being close to a Summit warehouse/showroom. I ordered the pumps last night and they're supposed to be here today! :banana:

Another update: It stopped idling altogether the other day, so I pulled the carb and cleaned everything really well again, installed new gaskets, and reinstalled it. It idles fine now, but I'm pretty sure it needs a jet change with the new manifold. It runs like crap after about maybe 2.5-3k RPMs. And I think I figured out the signal issue. I believe it's the switch itself. The left signal started working right away, but the right wasn't until I jiggled the lever a little. So I guess I'll be ordering new jets and see if the signal starts working better over the next few outings. After I get the carb tuned a bit better, I can update my "review" of the manifold! :)

Another update: It stopped idling altogether the other day, so I pulled the carb and cleaned everything really well again, installed new gaskets, and reinstalled it. It idles fine now, but I'm pretty sure it needs a jet change with the new manifold. It runs like crap after about maybe 2.5-3k RPMs. And I think I figured out the signal issue. I believe it's the switch itself. The left signal started working right away, but the right wasn't until I jiggled the lever a little. So I guess I'll be ordering new jets and see if the signal starts working better over the next few outings. After I get the carb tuned a bit better, I can update my "review" of the manifold! :)
My II's turn signal switch is like that. One trip both sides work, the next one side needs it jiggled to work, the next one won't work at all, etc.