It's Done!

RangerJoe

I leave the horn on while driving
15 Year Member
Apr 26, 2010
Georgia
I finally got through my 1st T5 rebuild. Here is a list of parts that were replaced:

-Astro Rebuild Kit $300
-1/2 Slider $40
-3/4 Slider $80
-3/4 Billet Keys $15
-Reverse Idler Gear $35
-G Force 2nd Gear $235

-Total $705 plus fluids, etc...

Here is a link to the video I used:

View: https://youtu.be/XREsRG9Y1mU

Tools needed:

-GOOD snap ring plier's
-Dead Blow Hammer
-Bearing race remover
-Highly recommend a press (Harbor Frieght Special $115)
-Punches
-Basic tools

I watched the video a few times and the rebuild it not that difficult. I would tell anyone who is fairly mechanically inclined to not be afraid of trying this.

Old parts and gears
20161014_163236.jpg

New parts
20161014_163222.jpg

Clean case
20161014_163250.jpg

Cluster gear installed
20161014_182145.jpg

Cluster support plate
20161014_182150.jpg

Mainshaft in
20161015_065002.jpg

All buttoned up
20161015_170449.jpg

And it's for sale!

Joe

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I finally got through my 1st T5 rebuild. Here is a list of parts that were replaced:

-Astro Rebuild Kit $300
-1/2 Slider $40
-3/4 Slider $80
-3/4 Billet Keys $15
-Reverse Idler Gear $35
-G Force 2nd Gear $235

-Total $705 plus fluids, etc...

Here is a link to the video I used:

View: https://youtu.be/XREsRG9Y1mU

Tools needed:

-GOOD snap ring plier's
-Dead Blow Hammer
-Bearing race remover
-Highly recommend a press (Harbor Frieght Special $115)
-Basic tools

I watched the video a few times and the rebuild it not that difficult. I would tell anyone who is fairly mechanically inclined to not be afraid of trying this.

Old parts and gears
20161014_163236.jpg

New parts
20161014_163222.jpg

Clean case
20161014_163250.jpg

Cluster gear installed
20161014_182145.jpg

Cluster support plate
20161014_182150.jpg

Mainshaft in
20161015_065002.jpg

All buttoned up
20161015_170449.jpg

And it's for sale!

Joe

Good job man, let me know when you're ready to try Aod-e's, I'll send ya two lol...

Manual transmission rebuilds are like 5th grade, tough but doable. Automatics are like your senior year, tough, got to pay attention, and can't wait to graduate. Manuals are easy as long as you have a clean bench, a good exploded diagram just in case gears or washers go sliding off, and a little patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I had that video when I did mine. I have been inside a few other t5's since my rebuild, but no complete rebuilds like the first one. I've called and ordered some parts from Paul (last name again?) in Eric's video. Very nice guy and knows his stuff.

I noticed you are using some upgraded parts. Just out of curiosity, how much better do you think it will be, compared to factory? I've been reading up on the different upgrades for a few years now, but haven't spoken with anyone who had feedback after using one rebuilt this way.

I wish I had that video when I did mine. I have been inside a few other t5's since my rebuild, but no complete rebuilds like the first one. I've called and ordered some parts from Paul (last name again?) in Eric's video. Very nice guy and knows his stuff.

I noticed you are using some upgraded parts. Just out of curiosity, how much better do you think it will be, compared to factory? I've been reading up on the different upgrades for a few years now, but haven't spoken with anyone who had feedback after using one rebuilt this way.

The G Force gears are from 2005, so over all, they have held up well. The support plate is part of the kit. The billet keys are a first for me, so I will see if they are worth it. The car weighs 3360 with me in it and has gone a best of 1.58 short time and 11.84. That was granny shifting because the trans was getting notchy. I hope I can get it to a 11.6x.

Joe

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
If this one sales, i'll be building a 4r70w!

Joe
Nice, Joe. My next project will have to be transmission. It's a very high mileage T5 (180k), very sloppy and I feel like it's robbing some power. Been thinking about going auto for awhile now. I love rowing gears sometimes but there is so much congestion where I live it makes drives for fun, not so fun. That video and the cost make the T5 rebuild pretty appealing though.

This doesn't seem too hard actually. What kind of power do you think this can handle? The wallet would much rather me upgrade the T5 rather than going to a TKO.
It will last a long time behind a h/c/i combo. It also will last a long time under moderate street abuse. It gets questionable when used with slicks/5-6k rpm drops/severe track use. With regular use/abuse I wouldn't worry about it behind an aggressive combo:moderate boost,etc. Torque capacity ratings are kind of "theoretical"

Reactions: 1 user
It will last a long time behind a h/c/i combo. It also will last a long time under moderate street abuse. It gets questionable when used with slicks/5-6k rpm drops/severe track use. With regular use/abuse I wouldn't worry about it behind an aggressive combo:moderate boost,etc. Torque capacity ratings are kind of "theoretical"

Awesome, that's what the plan is for the car, I have a HCI to go in, and next year I want to add some boost. Nothing too crazy, doubt I'll ever run it with slicks, a few track days but mainly spirited driving.

This doesn't seem too hard actually. What kind of power do you think this can handle? The wallet would much rather me upgrade the T5 rather than going to a TKO.

I really can't speak from experience on a stock t5. The only stock t5 I have owned whined from the get go, and I finished it off.

This one has the upgraded gears, but stock mainshaft. It is rates to 450 ft lbs. Since I have figured my suspension out, it does see regular 5k launches at the track.

A well put together t5 that is not beat to death should last a good while though.

Joe

Reactions: 1 user
What kind of power do you think this can handle? The wallet would much rather me upgrade the T5 rather than going to a TKO.
As @A5literMan stated, hard launches and traction are what break these T5's. I will also add, that power shifting (especially 3rd gear) does them no favours either. These seem to take moderate, to high horsepower levels pretty well, as long as the torque has somewhere to go. I'm putting in the neighborhood of 500hp through mine, but because my tires break loose (quite easily I might add) and my clutch isn't overly agressive (Astro King Cobra variant) it takes the stress off the fragile drivetrain components and saves them from a gruesome death. :)

Link us to the rebuild kit you went with @RangerJoe If I remember right, Astro has a few different variations to choose from?

Reactions: 1 users
As @A5literMan stated, hard launches and traction are what break these T5's. I will also add, that power shifting (especially 3rd gear) does them no favours either. These seem to take moderate, to high horsepower levels pretty well, as long as the torque has somewhere to go. I'm putting in the neighborhood of 500hp through mine, but because my tires break loose (quite easily I might add) and my clutch isn't overly agressive (Astro King Cobra variant) it takes the stress off the fragile drivetrain components and saves them from a gruesome death. :)

Are you running a stock T5?