It's Grilling Time! The Official Stangnet Grill/Smoke Thread

Olivethefet

I will own your nuts! LOL
5 Year Member
May 17, 2018
2,596
1,790
143
Enterprise AL
I've been contemplating getting a new grill. My favorite charcoal grill, I fear, is on its way out. I've had it since 2004. I've painted it several times, replaced the wood, replaced the ash pan a few times, but now its starting to rust though. Its not a super expensive grill. Its a Chargriller brand barrel grill with a smoker attachment. I love this thing! They sell them new in the big box stores, but they are made out of thinner material. Thats what got me to thinking what could be next.

20190616_183041.webp
Also, most guys like to grill and usually have a few good recipes or ways of cooking that seem to always deliver the win.

My go too is starting with a nice 3/4" to 1" thick rib-eye, add a little salt, pepper, garlic powder and worcestershire sauce. Put each steak, after seasoned, in a ziplock bag. I dont know if you guys have ever cooked with a Sous-vide but it works pretty good. I use my sink as a Redneck Sous-vide by filling it with water that is as hot as I can get it then put the steaks in. Use the water to push the air out, then seal the bag, so the steaks will stay under the water. Let the steaks sit in the hot water for an hour or so, add more hot water if it cools off to much. Fire up the grill. Go get the steaks and cook to a core temp of around 135 to 140. It wont take long as the steaks are already pretty hot. Grab them off the grill and put on a plate. Lightly salt and add a shake of pepper. Put a pat of real butter and cover with tinfoil. Let them sit in ether the over or microwave for about 5 to 10 minutes. Oven is off and dont try to microwave them. This is just to help the steaks stay warm while they rest. Thats it! Makes for a damn good steak. I like mine medium rare. Cook longer if you like it done more.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2Blue2 and RaggedGT
I like to make side dishes on the grill.
Corn on the cob-baked potatoes-sweet potatoes etc.
Steak and Chicken are my favorite grilled foods, but I must admit- I’m a propane guy..
@Davedacarpainter needs to be here, beer and BBQ is right up his alley lol
 
I’m a propane guy.
I hear ya there. I like not having to wait for the coals to get hot, but I prefer charcoal if I'm the one doing the cooking. My father-in-law gave me a really nice gas grill a few years back for Christmas. It's really nice, but its indirect heat so you dont get any grill marks. I can go in to that in more detail if anyone is interested.


Steak and Chicken are my favorite grilled foods,
I love chicken on the grill, but always find its hard to cook it evenly. My wife has an interesting technique for prepping chicken breast. She puts them, one at a time, between two pieces of aluminum foil, then puts that on a large wooden cutting board. Then she takes a skillet and beats the crap out of it. Sounds crazy I know, but it flattens out the meat and tenderizes the hell out of it. It's then nice and even and easy to cook. Give it a try sometime.

She got this technique from a German restaurant that we used to go to a lot. That's how they flattened out the chicken for their schnitzel.
 
I just grilled up one of my favorites, but very simple. Ziploc bag full of chicken tenderloins, pour in the Italian dressing to cover the chicken, and marinate overnight.

I use the Weber grill spray before I put the tenderloins on, otherwise they’ll rip to shreds pretty easy. Im sure that grill spray has something bad in it for you, but hey, it keeps my chicken from sticking. And because they are small and of different size, you need to babysit them. For me, it’s when I grab a cold beverage and hang by the grill. ;)

Again, real simple, but very tasty IMO.
 
I didn’t comment on Saturday, I forgot. Getting old or something.

The first weekend went well on the burger challenge.

I bought a pound of Walmart 80/20 and a few pounds from a fancier grocery named Reasors.

Same size patty from each meat, same seasoning (a little Lowery’s). Same cooking time.

Took a bite of the Wally World patty. It was pretty good.

Then a bite of the Reasors patty, no comparison. So much better.

So next weekend I’m going to one of the local meat markets and try the burger in comparison to Reasors.

One of my friends suggested I try a Weber’s hamburger seasoning. I’ll give it a go and report my findings.
 
I can grill on damned near anything that will hold hardwood or charcoal. Some of my all time [best] pieces turned out that way under some pretty :poo:ty circumstances :rlaugh:

I did this over my 15 inch kettle grill with nearly useless air intake ports beneath the fuel grate:
20190323_185709-jpg.jpg
20190323_191142-jpg.jpg
20190323_195927-jpg.jpg

I will have a [lot] more grill content to add over the next 18 month or so. I'll be building my outdoor kitchen and it's probably nothing like any of you would think. :D
 
I generally use hardwood charcoal and am not too picky about the brand.

I also like Kingsford Professional briquettes for indirect grilling or stuff that needs more even temps across surfaces.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RaggedGT
did this over my 15 inch kettle grill with nearly useless air intake ports beneath the fuel grate
Thomahawk ribeye on a 15" kettle! Impressive. Those steaks are awesome, but need to be cooked with care due to how thick they are. It looks like yours turned out great!

I'll be building my outdoor kitchen
Looking forward to seeing what you do. I made sure to run gas as well as hot and cold water to the back porch of the new house in anticipation of building an outdoor kitchen someday, but it will be a few years before we tackle that one!
 
Then a bite of the Reasors patty, no comparison. So much better.
The wife and I have been on a burger quest of sorts as well. 80/20 is the way to go in my opinion. Any less fat and the flavor suffers. Not as healthy, but hey it a burger! I haven't compared Wally World stuff to higher end grocery store stuff, but I do make sure to get ground chuck. I also like to mix in 20% or so of ground pork sometimes.

We found a recipe that we really liked the other day. I'll get it from my better half and share later.

I'm actually taking the grill to work in the morning and cooking burgers for the plant tomorrow.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ronin38
My father in law gave us a Holland grill a few years back. Its a very nice gas grill, but its indirect heat. Irs good for cooking large cuts or larger amounts. I use it from time to time but am more comfortable with my old trusty charcoal grill.
 
I made sure to run gas as well as hot and cold water to the back porch of the new house in anticipation of building an outdoor kitchen someday,


Mine will be wildly different than yours. My outdoor kitchen will lean toward things like.....

630055

My primary grill will be similar to this with a few mods. One of the long sides for instance, needs to be completely open so that I can shovel coals from one side to the other.

Right next to this will be a basic steel pit where I'll start the wood burning and pull my hot coals.

630056
 
Mine will be wildly different than yours.
Yep! Looks like you are into some serious outdoor cooking! It appears you have a great space for it all as well. I have tons of room at the new place, but not much flat ground.

Have you ever watched any of this guys stuff, Kent Rollins?


View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSP_kIFj6lY


Back in south Louisianan everybody was into cooking Jambalaya. I picked up a pot and can cook a fairly good one for a north Alabama boy. I also got a 12 quart dutch oven for cooking Gumbo in.

My outdoor kitchen will be more traditional.
 
I took my own advice and fired up the grill over the weekend also!

20190623_183442.webp

Here is a pic of the steaks pregaming in the sink.

20190623_184345.webp

And one action shot.

20190623_185519.webp

The little sausages are some kind of breakfast sausage the misses requested I cook for her. The larger links are boudin, Manda brand. I failed to get a pic of the end result :doh:, but everything turned out really good!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ronin38
Yep! Looks like you are into some serious outdoor cooking! It appears you have a great space for it all as well. I have tons of room at the new place, but not much flat ground.

Have you ever watched any of this guys stuff, Kent Rollins?


View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSP_kIFj6lY


Back in south Louisianan everybody was into cooking Jambalaya. I picked up a pot and can cook a fairly good one for a north Alabama boy. I also got a 12 quart dutch oven for cooking Gumbo in.

My outdoor kitchen will be more traditional.

That dude is one of my heroes! LoL

Nobody on his wagon ever went hungry or went to bed with a sour stomach or got up without a cup of coffee.