It's Grilling Time! The Official Stangnet Grill/Smoke Thread

I hope it wasn't a christmas present..... Started a few decades ago, but the new " American Wimmens" don't want kitchen or cooking utensils as gifts....
Yeah, however my wife and I are kind of 'dated'. We both love to cook and share time with each other. Some good tunes, drinks and food make for a great day. I bought her the SV out of the blue because she thought it might be interesting and safer to cook certain meats like tenderloins and venison backstraps.
 
  • Like
Reactions: limp
Hey guys, I’ve been preoccupied for a bit.

So, I bought a souse vide (fancy name for a water heater). It should be here tomorrow.

I plan to do a bunch of stuff with it, mostly cooking…….:demon:

Anywho, I went against my normal food acquiring procedures and bought a membership to Costco. We have one in Tulsa now…….sooooo, we’re not hillbillies…….no…….really.

What I was trying to say is, I bought some prime ribeyes from costco. I tried the closest I have to souse vide right now. I set the oven at it’s lowest temperature (170*) and cooked the steaks to 129*. Took about 1.5 hours. Then I seared them on my old Weber.

Oh my gosh they were good. I have no pictures because I’m a moron. Not an r-tard, a moron.

So, hi again guys.

1710690321351.webp
 
Been thinking of this thread lately....

So I just surpassed my 10 year anniversary at work and went through the catalog of milestone gifts I could receive. There were only a couple things that I was interested in - a hammock, a hanging chair, and a smoker. I chose the smoker. From everything I've read about it it's not the greatest but it's not the worst. Apparently it requires a few "mods" - drilling a few 1/2" holes here and there - but I guess I now have a smoker to compliment the gas grill I bought a few years ago. Y'all are gonna have to help learn me how to use this thing! :rlaugh:


It's first mission will most likely be to smoke some fish fillets I have in the freezer. It'll probably be next weekend if it's shipped in time, if not the following weekend.... :shrug:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ronin38
The Brisket I smoked for 4th of July with the family.

N51FGEW.jpg
 
This is what I want to do next. :nice:


If you [loved] the recipe you used, how about hooking a brother up?

It's pretty damn simple actually. Below is *My thoughts*, but at the end I'll also add in a few of the videos that started my Brisket cooking love almost 10 years ago by one of the best to have ever smoked a brisket, presented in the DIY version in your own back yard. In fact, my smoker is similar to what he uses in the videos.

First and foremost, use an OFFSET smoker, no cheating, no Treager or easy bake oven BS... put in the work and you'll be rewarded. If you have an offset, make sure you know it's personality, hot spots, true temps, etc. so that you can do your best to keep an even cook temp the whole time. Use Oak wood, with the splits sized appropriately for your smoker so that you can burn a CLEAN fire that isn't too hot for your smoker.

Second, get at least choice grade meat, and be picky when selecting it. Try to find one that has a fairly even thickness between the flat and the point (now is a good time to learn the difference in the two muscles of the brisket as it also comes into play when trimming and slicing), and the fat isn't rock hard or too thick.

Third, the seasoning, for me it's really simple... 1:1 ratio of salt and coarse ground pepper, then add in 1/3 part of garlic powder. Everyone is different in the flavor profile but that right there is as basic as it gets GOOD Texas BBQ, but add whatever you like! If you like other seasoning, sugars, whatever... do it, you're the one eating it.

Fourth, this is redundant to point number one, but run a clean fire, I like to try to keep my temp where the meat is at around 225-250 for the cook... but you want a thin blue smoke coming from the stack, not heavy white smoke which will give a bitter aftertaste.

Full honesty here, and what the big names on youtube won't tell you, once it's done getting the smoke and you've wrapped it (butcher, foil, whatever), you can honestly move it to the oven at 225 to finish it. I've done two at a time, one finishing in the oven and the other finished on the smoker and NO ONE could tell me the difference when I asked them to. I've also cooked them a few days in advance (to full done-ness, ready to serve) then put them in the fridge for a few days for transport to the lake house, heat them at 215 for a few hours until ready to serve and they are quite literally as good as the day I smoked it... just like the one in the picture.

Resting the meat is very important if you are going to smoke then serve, budget a few hours of rest in a cooler before serving if it's a straight through cook. If you have an oven like I do that goes down to 170 (or even like 155) and you want to serve the brisket for lunch Saturday for example, cook it Friday on the smoker and plan to pull it off before you go to bed. Then you put it in the oven in a foil pan covered tightly at 150-170 and let it sit there until lunch time and it will be perfect. If you go to any GOOD BBQ place in TX this is how they do it. They smoke them the day before, then put them in the warmers at 150 until service the next day.