Just Saw New Mustang at LA Auto Show Press Day

GusinCA

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2002
Newport Beach
They had all of them under covers until the big reveal, must say, it looks good.

The sloping nose is nice, the HID lights are ok, wish they had put the turn signals inboard rather than outboard on the GT.

The sloping rear is not too sloping, some had LED lights.

The new air vents are terrible, just like the old kind that were hard to keep clean.

Way too many buttons now on the center stack, but that's progress, I guess.

Still no rollover protection from the vert.

Everything else is pretty much exactly the same...

I took some pictures, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post them until the show opens to the public.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah just checked out the pics over at Auto----.com. Man-oh-man that rear end is just a disaster!

The black lower trim trying to make the car seem smaller is so contrived....ugh....just...ugh.

I have to say. If I was buying a new muscle car...today...I'd go Camaro...it looks better...has a better more quality interior and has 400+hp and an IRS. And I HATE GMs. Well except for the Z06...and CTS-V....heh

You'd be nuts to buy a Camaro until the whole GM bankruptcy mess is sorted out.

No, the car looks good in person, it just takes some getting used to, just like the 99 did.

And the back end looks better in person than in pictures, by farrrr...

And at $1.26 per share for Ford would be more sane? :)

And the '99 series never looked good..not even with time! Only the 2003 Cobra, once lowered and shod with wide rubber, did it hold up. The '94-'98s looked sleek at least. The '99+ just awful. Not sure what those were supposed to be.

Nope, '05-'09 it is. Then you have to go back to the 60s and 70s to get a good looking Stang.

And at $1.26 per share for Ford would be more sane? :)
Considering that Ford is the only one of the big 3 with enough cash to make it through next year without help, and the fact that they're about the lead in hybrids and gas mileage, I would say yes.

Once the new Fusion hits, Ford will be producing more hybrids than any other company. The Fusion gets higher gas mileage than Accord and Camry. They produce the most fuel efficient mid-size SUV, and will be producing more to stake their claim on fuel efficiency. I think those items alone will keep Ford afloat, while the others are in jeopardy of sinking. Yes, they are not sitting pretty, but they're not going anywhere any time soon.

I hear ya, trust me, I'm a Ford whore. :) I'm just let down by it's latest offering in the muscle car area. It's happened before and was bound to happen again.

Convertible Challenger R/T for the family cruiser I guess. My Shelby stays with ME.

The Challoenger looks great, sounds great, and goes great. And the back seat is usable.
But, it doesn't come as a convertible, and it's interior is as boring as a Caravan.

No, I take that back, the Caravan can be had with fake wood.

I have to say. If I was buying a new muscle car...today...I'd go Camaro...it looks better...has a better more quality interior and has 400+hp and an IRS. And I HATE GMs. Well except for the Z06...and CTS-V....heh

That Commaro looks like it was designed by a Meth Head ...... but to each his own I guess.

but truthfully, ask yourself / how do you look in Bow Ties?

Just got back from the LA Auto Show myself.

Impressive, eager crowds around the Mustangs. Lots of kids with their parents in tow too!
Ford has a hell of a line-up of new cars coming out very soon.

We found the Commaro parked in front of the bathrooms (-no joke-) which I personally found hilarious ... and the few folks that were milling around them looked perplexed for the most part.

I too left wondering what all the hubbub was.

FWIW / the Chevy people couldn't even tell me what the manual transmission was / nor how many units would be available with the manual (?)

Even the press reps for GM had trouble answering my questions, which is bad, since I'm the person who's going to write articles on my experiences there.

Then, GM cancelled it's press presentation entirely. Just bad signs all around...

That said, yes the Camaro is a great looking and well thought out car.
Would I buy one if I were in the market for a new car, and the styling appealed to me more than the Mustang?
I might buy one a few years from now, when all the first year (and second year) bugs have been worked out.
But only if GM is in decent shape. There are so many ifs right now with them, it's like buying an Alfa in the 80's when they just up and left.