• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Just starting out...and learning

  • Thread starter Thread starter 8mycsh
  • Start date Start date Aug 8, 2004
8

8mycsh

New Member
Aug 6, 2004
66
0
0
Medicine Hat, Alberta
Aug 8, 2004
#1
  • Aug 8, 2004
  • #1
I am looking in to replacing motor in my 1994 gt. I have started doing research and a few guys have mentioned a bbf motor?

What is a bbf motor? I have tried doing searches on google and forums and I keep getting the same stuff (people recommeding them) but what are they?

Thanks for answering the stupid question!
 

Rootus

Officially Addicted
Feb 8, 2003
6,659
1
0
Portland, Oregon
Aug 8, 2004
#2
  • Aug 8, 2004
  • #2
BBF? Not. I'm sure they're referring to big block Ford. If you want a big ass motor for your car, get a 351W and stroke it to 427 cubes. Figure at least $7k to do it right, though. And that's just the motor.

Dave
 

Joes95GT

New Member
Jan 23, 2003
3,132
1
0
Delaware
Aug 8, 2004
#3
  • Aug 8, 2004
  • #3
BBF = Big Block Ford. Any abbreviation with the first two letters either being a SB or BB, that means "small block" and "big block," respectively. The third letter stands for the make of the motor whether it be Ford (F), Chevy (C), Mopar (M), etc.

Stay away from anything Big Block related until you understand how an engine works. Big Blocks often require very expensive parts, custom machining, and lots of experience.

I'll tell you the best thing to do, that I wish someone told me to do when I first wanted to "learn" about cars and motors. I'll assume you want to learn about Fords: Go to a junkyard and find a blown up, old, rusted, whatever 289 or 302, and take the whole motor home with you. Buy a nice engine stand and a come-along, and very slowly, carefully, and studiously, take everything apart. See how it works inside. Try to make sense of all the moving parts. Measure every single clearance between all objects (mainly objects moving in the cylinders), and through reading and asking questions, try to determine what shape the motor is in. I found this to be the biggest help for me to understanding how the insides of a motor work together.

Joe
 
8

8mycsh

New Member
Aug 6, 2004
66
0
0
Medicine Hat, Alberta
Aug 9, 2004
#4
  • Aug 9, 2004
  • #4
Oh trust me I am not going to do the work on the motor. I am getting a very quailifed local shop to do it. I will slowly learn but as far as mechanical work the shop can do it for now until I learn and even then, they are the experts.

And Joes95GT that's a great idea about going to a junk yard. Just might have to do that.
 

donjohn

New Member
Feb 7, 2004
1,757
0
0
Irvine - Southern California
Aug 9, 2004
#5
  • Aug 9, 2004
  • #5
but even from a junk yard, how much you think that a whole engine would be, and how the heck would you get it home... hmm, sounds like an awesome idea though -i was thinkin about doin that with a tranny
 

Joes95GT

New Member
Jan 23, 2003
3,132
1
0
Delaware
Aug 9, 2004
#6
  • Aug 9, 2004
  • #6
donjohn said:
but even from a junk yard, how much you think that a whole engine would be, and how the heck would you get it home... hmm, sounds like an awesome idea though -i was thinkin about doin that with a tranny
Click to expand...
Around here it's about 300-400 bucks for a complete motor. If it's grenaded, sometimes it's cheaper.

Joe
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

D
Mustang not starting
  • Dawry Ramos
  • Sep 12, 2026
  • 2015 - 2023 Specific Tech
Replies
10
Views
231
2015 - 2023 Specific Tech Saturday at 9:20 AM
Dawry Ramos
D
N
Engine 86 GT no start/stall
  • nweber
  • Jul 28, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
215
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 29, 2026
AeroCoupe
S
ECU/PCM ISSUE
  • Santi1015
  • Jun 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
216
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jun 29, 2026
Santi1015
S
L
95 gt engine vibration
  • lenzgt
  • May 11, 2026
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
6
Views
319
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech May 26, 2026
lenzgt
L
S
Help needed - Cranks, no Start
  • sleeping93coupe
  • Nov 30, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
369
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Nov 30, 2025
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?