K&N filter reference

• Sponsors (?)

Have you tried KN's website? They have reference information on there.

I would stick with a good quality paper filter like Motorcraft, Wix, Purolator etc. I will not run KN on anything I own. Having to clean, dry, oil etc is a pain. They do not filter as well anyway. Also, when they get dirty their ability to flow drops off quite a bit.

Food for thought.

ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report

Air Filtration Test

Filtration Testing for Amsoil, K&N, Napa, Jackson Racing, Baldwin, and Mazda air filters on a Miata

Air Filters, Including My Thoughts on K&N

Technical Articles: Debunking the K&N Myth - Why OEM is Better

You can look it up on K&N's website. They have a feature where you select the year, model and engine of the car and it gives you their O.E. replacement number. They also make the oval filters for the 3x2 and 2x4 applications, in several heights.

Have you tried KN's website? They have reference information on there.

I would stick with a good quality paper filter like Motorcraft, Wix, Purolator etc. I will not run KN on anything I own. Having to clean, dry, oil etc is a pain. They do not filter as well anyway. Also, when they get dirty their ability to flow drops off quite a bit.

Food for thought.

ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report

Air Filtration Test

Filtration Testing for Amsoil, K&N, Napa, Jackson Racing, Baldwin, and Mazda air filters on a Miata

Air Filters, Including My Thoughts on K&N

Technical Articles: Debunking the K&N Myth - Why OEM is Better

You can believe what you want, but when an EFI Ford gets to the point where it doesn't flow enough air,(thru a paper filter) it's far from being what you'd call dirty. Been there, done that. Engines relied on oil bath aircleaners for years before throw away paper filters came along. The K&N was just a new take on an old principle. I clean and wash mine once a year. And my motor oil stays clean, no different than it did when using paper filters. And not to mention paper filters for the 2x4 and 3x2 setups run about $40 each now. Used to be $20 from Ford (in the 80's) before they quit stocking them. The guy who wrote that last article had an axe to grind, just like the manufacturers do with their advertising.

You may be right about that last guy.

I just don't trust KN anymore. After the tech bulletins regarding them and factory warranty denials, there is no way I'll use it. I know guys that are ASE technicians that will not use them either. I also know guys with "hot rod" diesel trucks that have had problems from running KN or similar type filters. I just don't think fooling with KN is worth it. I think they are overrated.

Oil bath air cleaners are not the same thing as KN. Also, from what I understand they did not work that well.

Anyway, For those that like KN and feel good about it then use them. I won't.

Lot of the truck guys are also running dirt/dusty roads more than car guys do, that could make a difference in running a K&N type filter too. I think if I was as well, I'd feel safer with a paper filter. The only problem I've had with a K&N is using too much oil in the filter. But I don't use their stuff, I just use type F ATF fluid in mine when I clean em. Too much is better than not enough though with these.