Roush Keep the Saleen or buy a Mystic Cobra?

Probablecause

Jun 15, 2004
georgia
long story short, in reference to my thread from a while back i decided to keep the Saleen...or really i should say just keep a mustang period. so, that brings me to the next order of business. a close friend of mine has an 04' Mystic Cobra sitting in his garage that has never been driven, and i mean never. it's got 13 miles and was delivered straight to his home from the factory. no dealer ever touched the car, and it still has every piece of plastic you can think of on it. MINT to say the least. he's willing to give me the car for payoff i believe, maybe a little more. he's had it for a while and he's been paying $750 a month just because he felt like it. yeah, he's got cash...so i don't know what the price would be but it'd be one hell of deal probably, especially when you consider the equity i have in my car at the moment.

the problem is this...my car gets attention where ever i go and that's fine. although it sticks out, it's still a mineral grey mustang when it comes down to it. i love my car to death but there's no denying the power and mystique of the Cobras. the one thing keeping me from having already bought the mystic is the paint. it's beautiful but it's only a matter of time before some jerk keys it or runs into me in a fender bender, and then i'm screwed. the mysitc gets ridiculous attention and i feel like i'd be scared to death every time i went into the grocery store or the movies. is it worth it? i keep struggling with this and every time i hear those eatons whine it makes it harder.

• Sponsors (?)

I've been struggling with the same issue. My Saleen is currently up for sale on PAS' website. At first I just wanted to get rid of my Saleen and get out of $620/month car payments because it just sits in the garage. I'm apprehensive about driving it because of the same reason...WAY too much attention and I'm afraid to go anywhere and leave it sit in a parking lot. Now I'm contemplating an 03/04 Cobra. Actually, when I bought my Saleen I had a chance between it for $43,000 or an '04 Mystic Cobra coupe for $32,000. I'm currently looking for a sonic blue Cobra and get my monthly payments down. I just can't go without owning a Mustang.

Nobody take this the wrong way, but guys, these are just Ford Mustangs not vintage Ferrari's. And don't fool yourselves, other than us Mustang enthusiasts, the average person does not know the difference between a Saleen, and a stock 6 cyl. Other than we have a body kit and wheels. Most of the guys in my office have Mercedes and BMW's, and they can't figure out why I would be driving an American car, especially a Mustang. And I think the person who looks at my car most, is ME! ( I love the way it looks! :D )

I have about a 12 mile commute, and I drive it almost every day rain or shine. Mine is an '03, and I bought it new. As for the cost of them, my Excursion, and my wife's car, both cost me more than my Saleen. No matter how you look at these, they are not going to appreciate unless you never drive them, and hold onto them for a llllloooonnnngggg time. Even then, the amount they would appreciate (if they do) would still not be anything close to the return of just about any conservative investment. Especially if you were to put that same $620 per month into an IRA.

I absolutely love my car, and I bought it to drive, and everyday I drive it I smile. It's a great way to start the day.

Probablecause said:
paint would be outrageous
I know it would be costly, but a while back i think there was a mystic cobra saleen on ebay, and it was unreal. The engine potential, and the looks were top notch. No more worrying about the boost being too much, all you need to worry about is the supercharger being too weak.

My buddies 03 cobra, pumped out 651 to the wheels with a KB, and runs like it came from the factory, vavle covers have never been off.

Only downside is the crappy IRS.

Saleen

Stay With The Saleen Looks Better And With The Power It Gives You Its Enought To Have Fun With. With Some 373 Gear Upgrade Intake Pully And A Good Dyno Tune Ull Be Very Satisfied Trust Me .what Do You Want To Do With All This Power Kill Ur Self This isn't Germany's Autoban And Remember There Always Gone Be Faster And Better Out There So There Is No One To Impress But Your self. Live Ur Life For Ur Self Not What Others Think If Ur Happy With The Car You Like It Keep It I Hope This Helps

i had a 96 mystic before with 6k orig. miles on it. i was afraid to touch it, modify it, drive it. i got a rock chip on the front bumper i thought i was gonna have a heart attack. keep your saleen. i sold mine for the look of the saleen. i get 100x more attention in the s281 than i did in any of my old rides (96 faleen, 01 ws6 dropped with c5 rims, mystic)