keep up with an EVO?

94gsl5.0

New Member
Sep 7, 2004
223
0
0
seatown
Right now the friends i run with have some high end screamers... EVO 8, STI, S4... etc. I grew up with them in high school and college and they all make some cash now... hence the screamers. i would consider myself kinda the poor man of the group. I really would like to keep up with them. They are stoked on having me run with them finally, since its been a long time since i have owned a car. They mainly autocross and roadrace. My question to you guys is can i build to keep up with machines like theirs? Without spending what they have spent? ( one friends car has over 60K invested) I just want to keep up, not blow them away, though that would be nice:) I know i am just in the 1st stages, I just picked up the car about 4 months ago. Next on my list is suspension and gears... I have access to their shop with all the tools and even a lift. We are mechanically inclined so all the work besides welding can be done by us. Could i keep up with a minumum of cash?
 
If you can afford it I would like into a H/C/I package such as the trick flow street heat package for around $2000. It comes with everything you need to put down close to 300 at the wheels. That's if your looking to stay N/A. If you perfer you can go s/c, I know vortec just lowered their 94-95 kit to around $2500. Either one of those would make you pretty competitive and both together will make your car a beast. I think your headed in the right direction though thinking gears and suspension. Our cars can handle quite well if set up correctly and gears will really wake it up.
 
SC and suspension?

So work on handling and gears then a vortech supercharger and i should be able to keep up with them... this looks to be about at the most maybe 5K or so?

1.0 for suspension
2.5 for super
750 for gears (parts and labor quoted by local speed shop)

Sound about right?
I know in the end i will have to upgrade brakes and there will be a lot of little things but that comes with workin on cars. Spend less on the Mustang than they do on their brand new cars but come out a contender, i love American muscle.

Looks like i got some saving up to do:)
great site by the way.
 
He's breakin in the EVO, S4 had 60K

Well he just sold his S4 with 60k invested
He's breaking in his EVO then building it up in a after the break in... supposedly he is going to be puttin down some 500 hp after the normal bolt on mods (ie. bigger turbo, exhuast, etc. and all that comes with tuning it), does that sound right? his S4 was puttin 400 to the wheels with big a$$ turbos and some good tuning. They have a guy who custom builds turbos for their cars. The other guys are making on par hp. I just want to keep up, not get left in their wake. If i can beat them at the strip i could settle for being a bit behind when autocrossing/roadracing.
 
Thanks.. i just wanted to make sure it wasn't a lost cause. I love my Mustang and have always been a American muscle/pony car fan. If i can get my car to run with them for less than they spent i feel that i defended my American muscle honor, haha. In fact a couple of them used to be die hard American Muscle nuts, now they are switchin over. Well.. I have been shoppin around while at work, don't tell the boss :) and looks like i still have my work cut out for me, but this is something i know i can do.
 
that guy has a sweet setup...Are coil overs that much better? i was thinking of starting out by getting H&R race springs with some bilstiens. A buddy used to work for H&R and can get stuff at cost.
 
Everyone is right saying to go with suspension first, but do it right...If you're going to be road racing and doing autocross, go with a steeda 5 link II suspension, you can read about it here, http://www.steeda.com/ it's about $1100
Also get new springs, shocks/struts, (I recomend H&R springs with Bilstein shocks and struts), and urithain bushings. Oh, and bigger tires, like 9in wides in front and at least 10 or 10.5 in back...
For the engine...to get the most out of it, build up the lower end for a s/c, put on new heads, roller rockers, TB, and intake manifold, the cam you should ask other people about, I know the stock one is good up to a point, not sure what's best for a supercharger, if you do go supercharger, and want to put out a lot of power, you'll need new injectors and a custom burned chip...the exhaust is you're preference, just make sure you do it...
The suspension will run you a total of about $2500, wheels and tires another $1000, the engine stuff, including a supercharger, etc. will cost you around $5000, exhaust will be another $1000, if you do most of the labor yourself, it's actually not that expensive, and you should be able to hang with your buddies, if not push them around a little.
 
94gsl5.0 said:
So work on handling and gears then a vortech supercharger and i should be able to keep up with them... this looks to be about at the most maybe 5K or so?

1.0 for suspension
2.5 for super
750 for gears (parts and labor quoted by local speed shop)

Sound about right?
I know in the end i will have to upgrade brakes and there will be a lot of little things but that comes with workin on cars. Spend less on the Mustang than they do on their brand new cars but come out a contender, i love American muscle.

Looks like i got some saving up to do:)
great site by the way.



First, the grand for suspension needs to go to at least 2500 (more likely 3) for a good setup for rr; i.e.: coilovers, k member, panhard, control arms, bushings, ect.

Next, don't forget the supporting stuff for the sc: tune, maf, tb, exhaust and injectors if you don't want to use the fmu. I'd go with h/c/i first, then add the sc.

Last, unless that shop is selling you the gears for $350-$400, they're hosing you on install prices. In lieu of that statement, gears are $160-->it doesn't cost $590 to have them installed :bs: definitely go somewhere else.

Oh, and our brakes Suck, and (depending on the pad) fade like a mofo...it would suck to putz around on a road course because you can't slow down if you speed up. It'd also be nice to be able to begin braking closer to turns...just so they're not last on your list.

Cheaper than an Evo, but not exactly "cheap". Start saving like the rest of us :p
...almost forgot Welcome aboard! :D
 
1:Learn how to weld

2: DIY turbo setup twin t3's (.60/63)

3:calibrated 80mm MAF/ 42lb injectors

3:Dyno tune

----Under 3k and youll be at the block limit of power.

Suspesion ...thats upto what you route you want to go. Drop it, go tublar fronts, panhard bar with some adjustable shocks /coilver, full lenght subframe and some CC's plates.

Lots of routes, remember your have a much heavier car and as a "road racer" the lancer and such has a better front/rear weight transfer.
 
Woodster said what I was thinking. I immediately noticed your comment of having a guy build your friends turbos. If that the case, don't beat them... join them. TURBO YOUR MUSTANG. Its SICK what kind of power/times you can get out of a stock long block. check out http://www.turbomustangs.com, check out chris95svt on here and the numbers he ran with a turbo'd 95 cobra that had a stock motor from the TB to the oil pan... how about 11'a at more than 120mph!
 
Wow, i didn't even know people were still lookin at this thread. The friend with the EVO8 let me use his shop, so with his help and my good friend's help (who happens to own a converted EVO4)we install'd my new suspension. I know its just a beginning but as you guys have pointed out, this a very attainable goal :D

Gears wise, what should be the cost for an install?

I have yet to ask what it would take for their turbo builder to hook me up... I'll keep you guys posted.
 
killercanary and woodster nailed it. Plain and simple turbos (if the money is there) is hands down the way to go. Have your boy set you up or contact x2c or PTK. They might get you on the curves but if you can say you took them on the strip you will always have that. Good luck bro.
 
theres curves on a road coarse......if you can just stay close in the curves.......H/C/I...plus turbo boost......and you should be able to pass a few in the straights.....

jmo.....tubo with H/C/I should put you around 600 or so to the tires i would think if you go with a good turbo kit


jason