Kenne Bell 2.1 Supercharger for Daily Driver

Octuneman

Jul 26, 2019
maryland
Ive been thinking that i want to supercharge my car. Ive decided on Kenne Bell but i wanna know if they are safe to run. My car is a 2001 GT automatic with only 37k miles. I have a Airaid CAI, 4.10 gears,slp mufflers, and a bama tuner. I plan on having this car for a long time still so many more years hopefully. If i get a supercharger and dont drive like im racing all the time is a supercharger safe? Because its a lot of money alone for the charger and good bit more for a shop to install and a dyno. I dont want things to start failing in my car and have to spend a fortune fixing all sorts of :poo:. Any help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

KB is a great option. The maintenance of your car is otherwise similar. The only thing I’ve noticed is that the stickier tires to hold the power are a smidge more expensive, otherwise it is the same car with more power and fun sounds.

Reactions: 1 user
KB is a great option. The maintenance of your car is otherwise similar. The only thing I’ve noticed is that the stickier tires to hold the power are a smidge more expensive, otherwise it is the same car with more power and fun sounds.
On the Keene Bell website they say that they make their superchargers for their tunes only and if you go to a dyno it will void the warranty and make the charger run lean or something and cause problems. Is that true? They also said that cold air intakes that are near the engine wont work and that I should get theirs because they have one that fits in the finder well. Is it worth basically not using my 300 airaid one and paying 600 for theirs? I basically know nothing about superchargers and you seem very knowledgeable to sorry for all the questions

Assuming the car hasn't been ragged on much spite its low mileage you should be fine running a KB.Before blowing money on the KB or tune,I'd do a compression test on all cylinders just to have a peace of mind.Though the car may be low on miles,I'd do it just to ensure it.Some guys run 8-10 PSI on the stock motor.Unless your going to build the bottom end I'd stay under 10,otherwise you'll be asking for trouble.

As far as fuel goes for your intent with the car as a daily driver if the boost is low enough,you could use 87...but its highly advised against,due to the damage and detonation it can do to the engine in the long run.91& higher is more of the preferred type of fuel for boosted engines.

I'd take a look back at these threads,as they can probably answer some more of the questions you might have.

93 octane (or whatever premium is in your area) is the way to go to give more flexibility for your tune. The higher octane helps prevent knock /detonation and gives more safety room for the tune. Dyno tunes are as good as the tuner, kenne bell does a good job for keeping to the kit, a good dyno tune allows more customization.

To get the most from their kit the KB intake is the way to go. Hot air is the enemy. If you keep your current intake you save a couple hundred bucks but leave a couple horsepower on the table. It is mostly a hp vs wallet decision.

Would you guys say that the injectors that come with the KB would be fine? This is not a drag car its a DD. Also would you guys recommend a 70mm or 75mm throttle body. Someone told me that with the airaid cai that a 75mm tb would suck to much and not work for what i want. And should i get the a new fuel pump with the bap? And if so could i get a recommendation.

Last edited:
Between the two - the bigger 75mm throttle body for sure.

Any injector 39lbs or higher is appropriate for stock fuel pressure and the power levels the stock motor can take (400rwhp). If down the road you plan for forged internals, you’ll need larger injectors.

36’s will be fine. Kenne bell comes with a boost-a-pump. It gives a stable voltage to the pump and increases the voltage (which equals more fuel flow) when it senses boost. As long as the stock pump is in good working order I’d just stick with their setup if you plan on using their tune.

Shouldnt i go to a dyno right away? Or do you think i would be ok with the Kenne Bell Chip tune for a while. I hear people say that if you have the chip its a safe tune and should be good for a while.

Last edited:
Kenne bell will provide a complete kit and tune that assumes you have a stock setup and everything is in good working order. The tune will be safe for that situation. Of there are aftermarket parts involved or an old tired fuel pump there is the possibility for problems.

It's always best to have a custom tune done so that the tune matches YOUR car and takes all variables into account, both for safety and best safe power potential.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven’t heard that KB tunes are unsafe.

If you want to be very specific you can data log with a wideband, get gauges to watch air/fuel ratio, and/or get dyno tuned.

Rebuilding it with good forged rods, forged pistons(made for boost), good rings gapped wider and arp main and head studs is all you would really NEED to do. Don't need a forged crank or other upgrades unless your goal is over 650rwhp. A good performance engine builder in your area could put a cost effective package together for you if you tell him your goals and price range.

I started to do a compression test today but when i put the compression valve down into where the spark plug would be and started my engine it does not hold the preasure. It goes to 20 and then just loses it. Can anyone explain what is going on. I pulled the fuel pump fuse,pulled all the ignition coils and the fuel injector switches, and pulled the spark plug out that i was going to test. Should i pull all the spark plugs out before i test it or is doing one at a time ok?