Kennebell and Denso IT20 Spark plug

goshia

Jul 1, 2005
Mead, Colorado
So I am still having issues get the car to fire up. I just talked to KB and they told me to close down the spark plug gap to .035. Does this sound reasonable?

The stock plugs are gaped at .052 and that is what I set the new plugs at.

What are other KB guys gapping there plugs at?

• Sponsors (?)

So I am still having issues get the car to fire up. I just talked to KB and they told me to close down the spark plug gap to .035. Does this sound reasonable?

The stock plugs are gaped at .052 and that is what I set the new plugs at.

What are other KB guys gapping there plugs at?

I left mine gapped they way they came. I believe that was around .034 or so.
What does your car do when you try to start it?

Tell me exactly what is happening, are the gauges sweeping?, is the odometer showing dashes?,is this the first time the car has fired on the blower with that chip?
Yes the plugs should be maybe one heat range colder and a little shorter gap, but that can also cause a surge at idle. It might also be that the contacts are dirty in the chip, but it could also be that KB is known for not programming their chips and when you start the car it screws up your processor. It depends on which 12 year old you talked to behind the counter when you ordered the kit.
Here's 2 people to contact
www.jmschip.com
www.racerelated.com
Tell them Rob sent you

My gap is .032 I would suggest going no higher than .037 your current gap of .052 is way too wide for f/i IMHO.

But spark plug gap is not causing your problem.

Car should start/idle fine but miss at WOT if the gap is too wide.

I now have them gapped to .037 and I still can't get the car to start. Took apart the fuel rail sensor and there is no gas there at all. So now I have to figure out where the gas is stopping at and the guys at KB are not much help that is for sure. I think the Boost a Pump is not operationg properly, I have 12.25 volts at the vacuum pressure switch. KB guy told me to short the 2 wires together at the switch, not sure what that is going to accomplish other than popping the fuse??? And yes the fuse is ok on the BAP.

putting those two wires together allows the bap to supply 17 volts to fuel pump.
make sure your fuse(30 amp) is okay. make sure the fuse at bap is okay and that this wire go to the rollover switch(pink with black stripe) the other wire(non fused)goes to pink with black strip wire heading into harness.the black wire is ground and MUST have a good connection.check all your connections,did you solder them?.if you used butt connectors you still could have connection problems. and lastly make sure you did not trip the rollover switch

putting those two wires together allows the bap to supply 17 volts to fuel pump.
make sure your fuse(30 amp) is okay. make sure the fuse at bap is okay and that this wire go to the rollover switch(pink with black stripe) the other wire(non fused)goes to pink with black strip wire heading into harness.the black wire is ground and MUST have a good connection.check all your connections,did you solder them?.if you used butt connectors you still could have connection problems. and lastly make sure you did not trip the rollover switch

So I think I have the fuse wire going to the wire bundle and the non-fused wire going to the rollover switch??? I will have to look at it tongiht. All the wires are soldered and soldered well. 20 years as a EE I have been soldering a long time.

Yes I have checked to rollover switch for trippingn "nope".

I am going to also expose the wires tonight in the trunk and jumper the wire back to a stock set-up and see if I get fuel then?

Its ALIVE and fast as ####