Key Stuck In Ignition Problems

5.0Courier

Mar 7, 2017
Hey guys, new member here.. Went to go start the car up and everything worked and ran fine, until I tried to pull the key out. I tried the button under the steering wheel and it still wouldn't budge. So my father and I took apart the steering wheel, piece by piece to try and figure it out. After a while, we just removed the ignition with the key still in it. There didn't seem to be any broken pieces or anything wrong with the ignition so we put it back in and tried to tinker with the wheel some more. After awhile just said screw and we'll take the ignition inside, but now it won't come out at all.. Does anyone have a diagram of that whole setup or been through the same thing?

• Sponsors (?)

Can you push the button that releases the key switch from the column? It's under the switch, tiny hole that you stick a pick into, it will depress when key is in either run or acc, can't remember. Get it out and buy a new key switch, what has likely happened is one or more pucks is worn to a point that it has gone sideways or the spring is broken. Sometimes you can spray a little wd40 into the key way and slide the key in and out and work it acc to start, don't soak the switch unless you have it out of column.

Got it out, had to drill the pin out.. Not a great start with the car, but it's only got the 5.0 for a few more months.. After that maybe a i6 in it or something

So whats wrong with the 5.0?
Nothing, which is perfect. Going to put the 5.0 in a 1980 Ford Courier, which is a light little truck, and make that something cool. The courier has a 2.3L with an automatic trans that doesn't go in reverse, so I'm just trying to keep the Mustang interesting with a motor that can still fit the T5 and get better at driving manual

Been hit with heavy snow and cold weather this week so the mustang was on hold. The end of the old ignition lock cylinder broke in the ignition and it's not able to get out, as if it's still locked in there. Any way to get it out? The new one is one the bottom, old one on top

Attachments

• IMG_6053.JPG
    IMG_6053.JPG
    777.7 KB · Views: 252
Been hit with heavy snow and cold weather this week so the mustang was on hold. The end of the old ignition lock cylinder broke in the ignition and it's not able to get out, as if it's still locked in there. Any way to get it out? The new one is one the bottom, old one on top
If possible, drill a suitable hole in the remaining part and thread a sheet metal or self tapping screw into the broken remnant. Soak it down good with PB blaster or WD40, then let it sit for a while. Then use a pair of vise grips to try to pull it out. You may find it necessary to jack up the front of the car so that the front wheels are off the ground. This will release any tension on the steering mechanism which is usually the reason that the ignition switch will not turn enough to release the key.

What jrichker said, I just was not fast enough, take a pick and try to move it around, it just sits in the slot, if it's tight and doesn't jiggle around something is jammed, wiggle the steering wheel and/or take the switch rod that runs down the column and move it up and down.
Do you know what position the lock is in? Off, run or acc?