Key stuck in ignition, won't start

Jason90448

Jun 22, 2009
So I left my lights on in my 95 mustang yesterday, had someone jump it, and then it started up fine. Later that evening, I went to start it back up. It started, and then stalled. When I went to try again, nothing happened. I could turn it to the accessory position, but there wasn't even a sound from trying to start. I hooked some jumper cables up to it again, thinking that the battery was still mostly dead, but that did nothing. Then, I was going to leave it for the evening, I realized that the key would not come out. I can't turn it all of the way back, it kind of turns back a little bit, but there is a lot of resistance. (and the wheel doesn't lock up, no matter how much I move it around) I tried straightening the wheels and moving it back and forth, and I also tried pulling it with vice grips and a flat head screwdriver(from another post). No luck though.

So, my car is in a movie theater parking lot. My question is; what do I need to do to even get it home? I have an extra key, but should I hotwire it? I don't know how to do that, but I'm willing to if it's the best option, so feel free to pm me about it. (not the best thing to make public) Is the reason it won't start related to the key being stuck? I have read on here how other people removed the tumbler and took it to a locksmith. I can do that, but I would rather get it home first.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, well, tomorrow afternoon I am going to try to get it to start again. Worst case, I hotwire it to get it home. Then I can look at removing the mechanism. Thanks so far!

I just noticed you jumped onto an old thread, so lets asked a couple questions:
why was the key cylinder replaced? Was this a problem before the key cylinder swap? Does the car start in park and neutral?