King Cobra Clutch Vs. Ram HDX

93gtmustang

5 Year Member
Oct 21, 2006
Need to get a new clutch.
This Ram clutch package seems to be a great deal.
1982-93 Mustang Ram Hdx Clutch Master Replacement Kit, 5.0L at LRS - Same Day Shipping!
I was wondering if anyone on here has this clutch and if so, how they like it.
I have a King Cobra that I can't complain about. It has about 400-450 passes on it (4500 rpm launch's on slicks) and about 8000-9000 miles. It still grips well, but I think it's time to replace it for next drag racing season.
If the Ram Clutch is as good or better than the King Cobra , I'm going for it.
Thanks

---
1993 GT Mustang / Ford Racing GT-40 Crate Motor B-303 Cam / Tremec T-5Z / 4.30 Gears / Detroit Locker / Moser 31 Spline Axles/ Subframe Connectors / BMR Upper and Lower Control Arms / Lakewood Adjustable Drag Shocks/

Best ¼ Mile Time – 13.18 @ 104mph-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Sponsors (?)

if you have 400-450 passes on the clutch you have and it still holds why would you ever switch ?

I like my twin disc clutch the best, maybe step up to a mcleod

My buddy has a Ram in his GT, i'm not sure which model but it's not a duel disk or anything...it grabs really nice (behind 500hp) and doesn't slip a bit...and has a lighter pedal than my King Cobra.

That said, i've had my KC in my car for 6 years and i beat the living hell out of it and it has never slipped and only smelled once at the track when i hot lapped it back to back. I've never had it on slicks though, and haven't raced my 347 yet so i can't say how that's gonna go but for a bolt on 302 the KC is a fantastic clutch if you can handle the heavy pedal effort. I will be looking for something different next time though.

I have had the King Cobra clutch in a fox and loved it. I had to much power for the clutch though. I have a Ram Clutch in an 01' Cobra, and HATE the clutch.

Personally I would go with a super King Cobra, what I have now. I spilt my King Cobra into three parts after about 8,000 miles, of beating. Always grabbed better and was smoother than the Ram.

I had a Zoom Kevlar clutch in my old 89 that had decent pedal effort and always grabbed great behind the 306 that was in the car. Plan to get one again, right now I have a stock replacement of some sort (PO installed) in my 91, and the pedal effort is terrible in it, though it grabs fine, course the car is mostly stock.

FWIW i put a ram powergrip in my car and i really like it. pedal effort isnt crazy and it held up to the few passes i did on the street on slicks so far. Ill see how it does at Atco next weekend.