Large rear axle, right side play

BlackMagic 91LX

Jun 14, 2004
I looked for quite awhile for a thread that could answer this, but I'm an old man with bifocals anda dial up connection, and after about an hour of searching, I decided to ask my questions. If this has been answered before, and I upset anyone :( I appologize.

My 91 LX has considerable end play on the right side axle. The left side is fairly tight with a little end play, but the right axle moves outward by a good 3/4". Upon finding this out, I immediately stopped driving it.

I suspect the c clip on the right side axle is gone. Any thoughts?

In order to replace the c clip, is it necessary to remove the differential pinion shaft lock bolt and pinion shaft? Or are they accessible without removal?

The car is going into our shop in the fall for a complete make-over, and since I just got it a month ago, I'd like to fix it quick (if possible), and enjoy it while the weather is warm.

Thanks for any help you guys might offer.

John

• Sponsors (?)

No, the C clip is still there or the axle would have fallen out. I suspect a good bit of wear on the locking pin and the clutch pack for that side is worn to nothing and the O ring that Ford puts with the C clip is also gone. It's not that difficult of a job to rebuild a rear with new clutches. Takes about three easy hours or can be done in under 30 minutes under perfect conditions.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie. What you say makes a lot of sense. I know I should open up the rear first and check things out, but I have some time constraints this week, and need to get repair parts early this morning.

I was aware that there were issues with the clutches, since the LX would only spin one wheel, and do it without a whole lot of effort.

Thank you for your help, sir!