Late model brake master cylinder on 1965/66

jws66m

Oct 5, 2018
Utah
Does anyone have experience on using a late model brake master cylinder on a classic? I'm doing new high end brakes and want a new unit but don't need a $300 aftermarket and I don't like the classic bulky ones. Kinda liking the 2005 model and am having a hard time finding mounting dimensions.

Just throwing it out there. I'll measure and search the hard way later.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

What is wrong with the OEM master cylinder? It fits just fine. If you want a dual bowl, go with a 67+ version. No reason to reinvent the wheel.

The only possible reason to go with something late model is that you don't have to remove the cap to see the fluid level....and that is really not enough of a reason to do it.

That being said, I did use an aluminum dual bowl master from an '86 Mustang SVO on a previous '66 mustang of mine just to save some weight(also a 4 wheel disc application)

What is wrong with the OEM master cylinder? It fits just fine. If you want a dual bowl, go with a 67+ version. No reason to reinvent the wheel.

The only possible reason to go with something late model is that you don't have to remove the cap to see the fluid level....and that is really not enough of a reason to do it.

That being said, I did use an aluminum dual bowl master from an '86 Mustang SVO on a previous '66 mustang of mine just to save some weight(also a 4 wheel disc application)

I get what you are saying. Yes I do want to see the levels. My car is a track car with a AP Racing brake set up. I'm most likely going with manual brakes so it won't need to integrate with the booster. Was just throwing it out there. I may for ease use an oem for now while i figure it out. I have a dual bowl now but with new brakes I don't want anything old in the system.

Thanks

My '66 has Granada front disc brakes and Explorer rear discs. I am using a 4-cyl Fox body booster (Mustang Steve conversion kit) and an SN95 master cylinder. It works very well.
Thanks. I think I've decided to go with wilwoods tru bar double pedal and their master cylinders. My car is a track car so might as well just do it.