Leaving to the track soon

04GTMustang

Feb 28, 2006
Stafford
OKAYYYYYY its the moment of truth see what i can get with the new tires! I am on 11psi right now i cant do 14 because my methanol tank is leaking slightly at the connector to the line. So I will not be able to see what the ol girl is really made of today lol. But kenne bell burst disk is in prostars and mickeys bolted up and a fresh FRPS. Its either gonna be a really good night or it will be a night where I am walking the entire place trying to find all the pieces to the engine hahaha. or might be picking up pieces to an axle. who knows:shrug:

Im hoping for some more mid to low 7s. should be able to do that. temps are gonna be in the upper 60s by the time they start running them and I have already hit 7.4s on nittos. just makes me nervous hahaha either way it goes im sure ill have a smile on my face :D just hope it doesnt let go the first run cause then i wont have a smile hahaha i wanna get one good one in before it decides to throw in the towel :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

hahahahaha lets just say i was extremely dissappointed! lol I ran better times with the car on the KB tune running 9psi than tuned running 11psi. I also use to trap higher on 9psi than i currently did on 11.

Best time of the night 8.008 at 89.33mph. 60' 1.784 still learning the mickeys a bit they dont bite as hard as i had hoped.

Now onto the crappy parts of the night. so i pull in only let the car cool for about 30 mins then i pretty much hot lapped all my runs so the car was running very hot im sure that didnt help me out any. Number one my tuner never changed my fan temps cause i dont think he realized its a 160 degree thermostat in the car so sucker was heating up to 190* before the fans were kicking on so that really didnt help either.

But My last run of the night i figured screw it and put the 9lb pulley back on because my belt was extremely lose. I heard it squeaking in the mornings the past couple weeks so i know i needed a new belt.

but after this run i notice i push the clutch in to turn around at the end of the track and hey my car is revving at 2 grand and its not coming down. so i get my slip return to the pits and pop the hood and check everything out because its idling at 2 and wont drop. didnt pop any hoses off checked my tps and its on there good. had a loose coil pack tightened that up but it didnt change anything. unhooked the battery to reset everything didnt help. Found out though my IAC is stuck open :rlaugh:

Of all the dang things to break on the car with my being so rough on it i break the IAC lol. what the heck! But as im driving the car home its still revving like a mad man and the car is driving itself practically and then i pull into the driveway and it starts to settle itself back down again. start it up this morning and its fine idles good and all. so the IAC either needs a good cleaning or ill just get a new one anyways.

But the funny thing is too i ran identical trap speeds on the 9 and 11psi pulleys lol but it sucked running back in the low 8s again the whole night! I was frustrated to say the least. I had a good time though ended up being down there and a mustang club pulled in. I was running the same times though as another kenne bell GT that was trailered in and he was on 9psi and ran the same times as me on 11. oh and my clutch isnt gonna last much longer finally lol i had to shift slower cause slamming gears you could hear it grinding trying to go in lol

NITROUS!!!!! Didn't you say you wanted to add a little juice on top of that :)?

No nitrous this time. I will see about next thursday lol I have some work to do on the car first. One including a new belt cause heck its pretty sad going from mid 90 traps to barely touching 90 lol.

Yea its a taller tire on the back but it shouldnt make that much of a difference.

Next time tap the IAC with a wrench or hammer, never failed me :D

hahaha yea we tried that it didnt work. Kinda sucked. I wonder if the heat had anything to do with it...i need to get back over to my tuner though and have him adjust my fan temps down cause on the kb tune it never ever got that hot even sitting in traffic. once i got on the road home the car cooled off back to where its supposed to be and got home and the idle slowed itself down.

But I want to go back with a fresh belt that isnt stretched out. Usually on a fresh belt im fighting it to get it to fit over the 11lb pulley lol. You feel a world of difference with that.

I do believe though my first run woulda been the best though because i ran an 8.3 at 89mph but i also missed 2nd gear the car just didnt want to shift. 60' was a 1.80 on that run. I think it woulda dipped into 7s had i not missed the gear cause i let it cool off a little before running it. and then after that i hot lapped it cause i didnt really wanna wait till everyone got there and sit in the stagging lanes lol. (im impatient)

I also had 22psi in the tires by the end of the night. dunno if this is too high for the ET streets or not.

If your running true et streets 22 psi is what I use when I drive the car on the street with them. At the track I run 10-12 psi in them! Trust me put them at 12 do a good 2nd gear burnout and tell me they won't hook. Mine comes off the line nasty! If your running radials then run 15-18 psi in em. What size are they and what's your rear gear?

Are you running ET Streets or ET Street Radials? What size? What are your suspension mods?

they are ET street radials and Its a 275/60/15 no suspension mods at all.

If your running true et streets 22 psi is what I use when I drive the car on the street with them. At the track I run 10-12 psi in them! Trust me put them at 12 do a good 2nd gear burnout and tell me they won't hook. Mine comes off the line nasty! If your running radials then run 15-18 psi in em. What size are they and what's your rear gear?

3.73s in the rear i only had them at 22psi at the track and yea IT street radial. ill try the real ET streets next.

I can def. launch it harder than i was just really seeing what RPM and what kinda clutch slip I could launch on. I will get it down to 1.6s with some more work. I did it on Nittos so I should be able to do it on these.

I found my IAC is dead on the car its stuck wide open right now and my belt is loose as heck right now it squeaks when i first start the car in the morning so i ordered 2 new belts from summit.

Any of you guys know if you can run the 8 rib drive system under the stock hood on a 2.1?

Not sure on your 8 rib question but I will say those tires are not helping your times. You would need some 4.10's to run those 28" tires out next time get some 26" tires!

just wondering if the 8 rib setup fits under the stock hood...Not sure if its a tad too long now and the hood will not close. yea the reason why i went with a 28 was because on 14psi I will need a taller tire because a nitto is like 25.5 inches and i am in 4th gear coming across the 1/8th mark and thats on 9psi. 4th gear tops at something like 124mph so when i move onto quarter i dont want to be pegging the limiter in 4th running 14psi. Heck I am actually getting better MPG on the taller 28inch anyways hahaha. revs much lower and because the speedo is off i tracked the miles with a GPS unit so i could see how many miles I have driven. Im getting 24mpg highway now :D

but yea i dont want to go 4.10 because of the plans i have for this car i would quickly grow out of that gear and be needing much more. I want to actually go with stock gears again.

with the stock trans and 3.73s with the 28s its actually bringing the gearing back to around stock gearing so i dont think it could be hurting all that much.