Led Light On Shift Bezel?

I am thinking this was put in for a previous alarm? I also have this on the rear of my car (see pictures) which is an antenna of some sort for an alarm system.

Anyone ever see something similar before?

20140118_090226.jpg 20140118_090243.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, more than likely that LED was the indicator for an alarm. It's used as an alert for when the alarm is armed, and usually used in programming with most alarms.

Do you know if the alarm is still installed?

As far as that antenna looking thing, I'm not entirely sure. I've never seen an alarm with an external antenna such as that. Not to say there isn't one, but every alarm I have installed has an internal antenna and you usually see it mounted on the inside top of the windshield, or very near that area.

That picture you posted looks like some type of shock or tilt sensor, its hard to tell for sure from the picture.

If an alarm is still installed, and you have no way to arm or disarm it, you have a couple of choices. You can just leave it alone and hope there is never a malfunction. You can try to find out what brand/type it is and see if there are replacement remotes available. Or, you can attempt to remove it.

Is it currently causing you any problems? If its all still there, you can usually find the main control unit stuffed up under the driver's side dash somewhere. There will be quite a few wires that terminate there. If it doesn't present itself upon initial inspection, you could always trace the wire from that LED back. It should lead you straight there. If you decide to try to remove it, I recommend only doing it yourself if you have experience with alarms, car electronics, and a multimeter. Depending on the alarm and installed options, removing it without some knowledge could leave your car immobilized.

As far as that antenna, I would say yes, it has a better chance of being something like a partial cell phone antenna than anything to do with the alarm.

It's definitely from an alarm system. Alarm installers love to jamb the alarm and the motion sensors in the center console there because it requires no tools to pull out that bezel. Just pop it up and see if there are any boxes under there. Most aftermarket alarm systems last about 5 years, and then they go completely nuts. Odds are the alarm system was removed years ago when it failed.

Kurt

I found the box up under the drivers side by the fuse panel. It has an FCC number on it. I Googled it and alarms came up but not a specific alarm. I ordered a new bezel... I am assuming the alarm is no good, otherwise I would have a key fob for it..