LED turn signals

TreyG870

Sep 29, 2005
I just installed LED bulbs in the front turn signals on my 00 GT. I also installed a load resistor on each bulb. The problem is, the lights dont light up when the parking lights should be on. They work perfectly when using the turn signals however. When I looked at the wiring harness going to the bulb i saw three wires, a black, brown, and white/green. I assumed that the white/green is the positive and that the black is negative. Those are the ones that I attatched the load resistors to.

Anyone have any ideas as to why the LEDs dont light up as parking lights?:nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

Black is ground.

The other two wires are the power wires. One is the turn signal and the other is the parking light.

What brand LED's did you buy?? Mine came with the resistors already attached. All i had to do was plug them in and play.

BTW, they suck for light output and were actually dimmer than the stock bulbs. I only run them in my reverse lights and lisence plate lights now.

Black is ground.

The other two wires are the power wires. One is the turn signal and the other is the parking light.

What brand LED's did you buy?? Mine came with the resistors already attached. All i had to do was plug them in and play.

BTW, they suck for light output and were actually dimmer than the stock bulbs. I only run them in my reverse lights and lisence plate lights now.

Sorry to hijack but...Mustang5L5, where did you buy your reverse and license bulbs from? I want to change mine out to white leds... What size bulbs are they?

Yeah, I purchased the 3157's. I must have attatched the load resistor to the turn signal positive and the black negative. Should I splice in the other wire (evidently the parking positive)? I'd rather not fry my car if i can help it.

If your turn signals are working properly, and flashing at the same rate as before you installed the LEDs, the resistors are wired correctly.

Here are some possible reasons why the front parking lamps do not work:
1. The LED lamps are not truly #3157-equivalents, regardless of what the seller claimed. They could be #3156 instead.
2. The LED lamps are inserted backward in their sockets (this should not be physically possible if they conform to the #3157 specification).
3. The parking lamp fuse is blown (do your tail lamps work OK?).
4. You accidently cut the brown wire, so +12V no longer reaches the front lamps when the parking lamps are on.
5. The LED lamps connection to the brown wire terminal in the socket is bad.

Sorry to hijack but...Mustang5L5, where did you buy your reverse and license bulbs from? I want to change mine out to white leds... What size bulbs are they?

I got em from Ebay. The plate bulbs are 194's and the reverse lights are 3156's.

These are the plate bulbs i got

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-SU...250085096052QQihZ015QQitemZ250085096052QQrdZ1

and these are the reverse.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...2QQihZ015QQcategoryZ33713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There are a few to pick from, so just type in LED 3156 or LED 194 and you'll see the choices. They are plug and play...nothing to rewire.

View attachment 401953