Lentech "OD off" button, what does it do?

my9302002

Oct 28, 2007
Reason I ask is that Lenntech sells a valvebody that has a "OD off" button. When the switch is activated does that mean the torque converter is prevented from locking up in 4th OR does it mean that the trans stays in 3rd?

Thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

Reason I ask is that Lenntech sells a valvebody that has a "OD off" button. When the switch is activated does that mean the torque converter is prevented from locking up in 4th OR does it mean that the trans stays in 3rd?

Thanks...

Probably does the same thing Ford's with the same button do. Turns the overdrive off and you're in third gear (with a 4 speed OD trans) It's handy for a pushbutton downshift in slowing for redlites, down grades, etc. Saves wear and tear on the brakes. I used it a lot wth my 95 E150 van.

I want to use a Lenntech valvebody in a rebuilt AOD that a local shop was going to install. Len at Lentech says that he would not recommend the regular AOD at anything over 300hp. I plan on upgrading the motor in the future and don't want to do this twice.
I'm trying to understand how the AOD works in the 2-3 and 3-4 shift. I've read that 3rd gear is activated via a inner input shaft and that is the weak point where to much power on this shift will shatter the innards. Is that what he is saying? If so, how does his transmissions deal with this?

the lentech valve body changes the shift pattern from a 1-3-OD, to a 1-2-3/OD pattern so that you can use second gear manually if you so choose without using the aod dance(start in first shift to third, and then back to first) which causes damage to the transmission internals. the inner input shaft can be delicate when the majority of power is run through it, but the valve body also changes that routing also. an upgraded inner input shaft is still recommended. one more thing, lentech also builds a full pressure valve body so you can use the throttle valve cable as a kick down cable rather than controlling the valve body pressure. that way you dont have to get the tv cable adjustment right.

valve body pressure is important

I have the lentech street terminator AOD. As others have said, the electric switch prevents OD from engaging. I'm confused on the comment about not worrying about the valve body pressure. The manual specifies that the tv cable be set so that the pressure is 2 to 5 psi at idle.

Kent

lentech does sell a full pressure valve body that doesn't require you to use the TV cable but they only recommend you run it that way in dragstrip applications, for normal driving they still recommend you use the TV cable and not as a kickdown but the way the TV cable is meant to be used.

How many rpm's does the lock-up converter save over the non-lockup. Huge difference, or will I really not notice.

in most cases it's usually 2-300 rpm or so. depends on if you have a stall convertor and how tall your gears are as well. a lot of times with an OD trans and a high stall convertor it's better to try and keep the lockup function so you don't have problems with the stall convertor and the od not getting along.

What kind of torque convertors do most go with...lock-up or non lock-up.
I have a 3.55 rear end and will have a 347 to power it once I finish with the 302 that is in there. It should be putting out about 400hp.

How many rpm's does the lock-up converter save over the non-lockup. Huge difference, or will I really not notice.

On my van, about a year before I sold it (had it for ten years) I added a bottle of Lucas trans treatment to cure a developing shudder. This was the lockup feature engaged by a solenoid. Apparently the lockup wasn't functioning at all before I added the stuff. Fuel mileage went from 13-14 mpg highway to 16 mpg. That's a 2-3 mpg improvement just from the lockup itself. Motor was a 351W, trans was an E4OD.

your rpms with a non lock up stall converter will really depend on the rear gears, I still have the 3.00 gears and 275-40-17 tires on the rear and when up to temp mine turns 2200 rpm at 65 and 75, once I change rears to 3.50 the car will feel lighter and wont slip at 65. Mine has the 10" custom converter which with 500hp 408 stalls 3000-3500, it stalled at about 2200-2600 with my 351w but still I dont have optimal gearing.