Lentech Swap! ~ Need some wisdom

Frankenstang65

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2002
Lynnwood, WA
Ok, I have a 351W in my '65 with a C4. The Windsor is a '74 block and I am pretty sure that the C4 is a '68. I am about to start swapping in a Lentech Street Terminator Plus -AOD, and I'm in need of a little information.

1) I have heard different things about the blockplate. I am getting the flexplate from a 5.7L 1993 Truck (should be 28oz and 164 teeth). The tranny in the truck is an E4OD, can I use the blockplate as well? If not, will any 5.0L AOD blockplate work?

2) Will any T5 or AOD yoke work?

3) How much wider is the AOD than the C4? As a result of the difference did anyone have exhaust clearance difficulty?

4) What brand of TV cable are you using? Is there any significant difference between the "conversion" cable and a stock ford one (ie: could I make the Fox Body throttle cable that I have work with a carb- anyone done this?)

5) Do I need to plan on shortening the driveshaft? I've seen accounts of yes and no in my research - what are your experiences?

6) Anybody have recomendations on shifters? Megashifter? Hammer? Pro-Stick? etc (I already have a converstion kit to run an aftermarket shifter with the AOD). Anybody still have the factory console like me? What did you do?

Well I think that is all I have for now, if you have any recomendations/words of wisdom sound off - any input would be great.

Thanks everyone!!

Later :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Frankenstang65 said:
Ok, I have a 351W in my '65 with a C4. The Windsor is a '74 block and I am pretty sure that the C4 is a '68. I am about to start swapping in a Lentech Street Terminator Plus -AOD, and I'm in need of a little information.

1) I have heard different things about the blockplate. I am getting the flexplate from a 5.7L 1993 Truck (should be 28oz and 164 teeth). The tranny in the truck is an E4OD, can I use the blockplate as well? If not, will any 5.0L AOD blockplate work?

2) Will any T5 or AOD yoke work?

3) How much wider is the AOD than the C4? As a result of the difference did anyone have exhaust clearance difficulty?

4) What brand of TV cable are you using? Is there any significant difference between the "conversion" cable and a stock ford one (ie: could I make the Fox Body throttle cable that I have work with a carb- anyone done this?)

5) Do I need to plan on shortening the driveshaft? I've seen accounts of yes and no in my research - what are your experiences?

6) Anybody have recomendations on shifters? Megashifter? Hammer? Pro-Stick? etc (I already have a converstion kit to run an aftermarket shifter with the AOD). Anybody still have the factory console like me? What did you do?

Well I think that is all I have for now, if you have any recomendations/words of wisdom sound off - any input would be great.

Thanks everyone!!

Later :nice:
1 any AOD blockplate will work..
2 yes... same spline
3 a lot wider, run the 351w headers (longtubes) and it will be close but will still work.
4 the one to use is from a ford eco van i think (not sure) mine is hooked up to my carb.
5 i shortened mine, but my rear end also has 2" lowering blocks
6 i'm running a z-gate shifter from hurst that i got to work-you could fit it to your exsisting c-4 shifter if you wanted to.

also do not drive with the AOD installed untill you have it pressure tested or you could burn it up :notnice:

good luck

Q's let me know

Rich

SLIGHTLY_INSANE said:
What do you mean pressure tested?

The AOD shift points are controlled by pressure which is regulated by the TV cable. As the cable moves with the carb the tranny shift and performs differently. It is 'tricky' to get it right sometimes. The proper way to set the cable is to one, confirm that it moves in the same arc and distance as the throttle and then two, screw in your pressure gauge on the side of the tranny, the pressure should read (per my guy that set up my race ready AOD) 40-45 PSI when the cable is pulled 5/16ths of an inch off idle.

dolfan87 said:
If you are buying th Eaod, doesn't that transmission requires a stand alone electronic controller? The "E" stands for electronic right?

Yes the E4od reguires and electronic controller. But the question that brought up the e4od was simply concered with the block plate so there is no issue there. You can also buy all the internals of a e4od and put them in a standard AOD case. I have a tranny setup like this. I get the benefits of the stonger tranny parts, the 2.85 first gear, and none of the hassle of running e controls and just hook up the TV cable.

Thanks for the replies... I'll make sure to grap that blockplate while I still can.
Also, I wasn't aware of the pressure testing thing, was just told to make sure the lever on the tranny was all the way forward at the same point that I was at WOT..and then do any minor adjustments erring on the side of harder shifts. I'll definately put a gauge on there and make sure everything is kosher before taking it out on the street. I'll check junkyards for cables that came on carbed vehicles, or may just buy the conversion specific one- sounds like this is not any area to cut corners on expense.

any other advice?

:flag: