Lentech vs. TCI vs PA

Alright I'm looking at trannies and trying to decide between Performance automatics, TCI street fighter or Lentch street terminator. I really like the 123/od patern on the Lentechs but they are like $1800. The TCI's run for $1300 they say they have a auto/manual vb, is that like the lentech? How would that work w/out an electronic switch for od. It would seem is can't be manual becasue 3rd and 2nd still share the same position.
Anybody have any experience or comments about these trannies?

• Sponsors (?)

my buddy had a Lentech street terminator AOD on his fox body.. behind a hot 347.. it was AWESOME! The tranny seemed very solid, came from Lentech looking top notch. I was pleased........... I have no experience with TCI.. but being its your tranny, I wouldnt mind spending the extra 500 for a Lentech.

about 8 years ago I had a TCI trans and converter... It never did feel right and after 6 months it ate itself.

About a year ago in a different mustang I tried a PA. well it never even got down the road without having problem.

After having problems with each one I ended up at a local shop having them build a trans for me. There is really nothing that any of these companies do that a good trans shop can not do..

Bill

Low86GT said:
about 8 years ago I had a TCI trans and converter... It never did feel right and after 6 months it ate itself.

About a year ago in a different mustang I tried a PA. well it never even got down the road without having problem.

After having problems with each one I ended up at a local shop having them build a trans for me. There is really nothing that any of these companies do that a good trans shop can not do..

Bill

Good point.......... another option is to grab one of the master rebuild kits off of like http://www.ford-aode.com/ and take it to your local shop. They will know what is weak in the AODE, AOD, etc....

Yea,a GOOD transmission shop.

I know one guy around here just f***ed a whole bunch of people,including us,out of alot of money and now have a piece of s**t lying around.

And please dont buy TCI stuff,you will hate your self later.I heard PA AOD's arnt the best,but I havent had a problem with there C4.

Lentech is a hell of an AOD,it will hold up.

I have run a TCI C4 and converter in my 79 since 1987, and love it. They have been one of the best phone help companies I have ever dealt with, also.

I used TCI stuff in the rebuild on the trans in the 82 as well as a TCI valvebody and converter, as well as using their kits in several other trans.

They are not as fancy with ads as others, and they don't emphasize Fords as much as PA or Lentech or Dynamic, but their stuff has worked great for me.

That said, PA shows up at most of the FFW's I go to, and now offers some unlimited warranties, so they seem to be a good bet also.

If you got the $$$ I say go for the Lentech or even an Art Carr. Have 2 buddies running Lentechs, behind blown 347's. One with an S-trim and the other with a Novi 1000. ANd both guys just ordered the kits and had a tranny guy local put it together. But the one with the s-trim put a full manual with brake in his, and that car just ran a 10.50 @131.

I run the Art Carr behind my blown 331 and it has held up execpt for a $3 snap ring causing some damage. No fault of Art Carrs, something ford put in there, and since have upgraded. And I have had my car to a best of 11.19 @ 121..

if going C-4 I'd say go DYNAMIC or ART CARR, but since your talking AOD, Lentech is the only way I would go.....They are capable of building a better trans than a local shop, its not just assembly some of it is special machine work. Dig around thru some old articles........lentech is expensive but well worth it.
Jack

That's my thinking as well. A very reputable local shop is building me an AODE with all "racing" internals for $1700 right now.