Lets play guess this part (pic)

J90GT

Sep 15, 2005
Ok this might be a dumb question but this is my first mustang so help me out please!?!

Its a 90 GT since last week or so its been runing rich and had cold start problems will recenlty i noticed a leaking air sound from the drivers seat so today i decided to find out what it is. Upon opening the hood and having it on i see a puff of smoke from behind the intake mani and i hear the leaking air i digg around an i find it!

View attachment 502651

View attachment 502653

What the hell is that? ive been into imports and well ive never seen anything like that, it was leaking out of the little hole at the bottom and puffing smoke, it was connected to a line going to the bottom driver side of the intake manifold what the hell is it? What is it suppose to do ??

• Sponsors (?)

Interesting looking PCV.

So i assume its suppose to have another line coming from it? cause the way i find it it was just laying behind the TB with 1 line going to the intake mani sitting there sucking air? should it be T-ed

It does have one of those little mini crank case air filters on it, so did the guy just ghetto rig it and leave it open? should i just cap off the line going to the intake manifold?

The factory valve has just one nipple on it that points vertically when inserted into the pcv bore ... the 2 horizontal ports (like you have here) is a parts store piece.

The pcv valve slides into a grommet and then under the grommet is a mesh screen that you need to get out and clean as well.

Do not just plug off the system ... it is negligble as far as performance, but over the long run you will develop bigger problems.

I clean mine annually.

That pcv is the same one as the stock one, you just have to take that black plastic part on that valve, and pull it off. You don't need it, throw it away. You just need the silver part. Fat end goes into the cover, the smaller end goes into the tube. Done!

You can leave that there (where the oil cap usually goes)

Just reattach your PCV valve. It's really hard to see, you'll have to feel around to find the hole in the back of the lower intake manifold.

J90GT said:
Interesting looking PCV.

That is a very cheap PCV valve from Autozone, they have these little plastic caps that fill the holes that aren't used, but blow on that thing and you can see why I call it cheap.

I bought a motocraft PCV valve, Grommet and screen from my local Ford for $27...

I would stay away from the cheapo stuff. :shrug:

Well, i know why i was confused. It blew out( possible ring problem or just cheap?) so when i found it, it was sitting there attached to the intake but was just hanging out there sucking air and didnt know where the hole was cause im not too familiar with 5.0's yet.

I felt rather silly when you guys told me it was PCV valve yet i couldnt figure out where it plugs into, its rather deep. It also doesn't have the screen either maybe it blew out also or somebody just never put it in

J90GT said:
It also doesn't have the screen either maybe it blew out also or somebody just never put it in

Are you talking about the valve itself? I don't think it is supposed to have a screen. The screen that is referred to is the one that should be in the big hole that the valve came out of (in the intake). Stick your finger down into that hole & see if you feel a screen ..... if not, get one. There should be a screen & a rubber grommet.

It may have flew out because so much oil built up around it. Also, the fact that it is a cheap made one that doesn't fit well. Like said before .....get a Motorcraft one.

Yeah im talking about the big hole there was no screen, i stuck my middle finger down there once i located it, the gromment was there though. i understood once i figured out where it plugs into. i will be picking up a motorcraft gromment/screen and pcv tomorrow. Thanks again everybody