Limited slip recommendations

ddscz

Mar 16, 2008
My 07 GT auto did not come with a limited slip rear. Any recommendations on a street use only unit?Am currently
running a 3.73 ring and pinion,like them but may switch to
4.10's.Any input would be appreciated.Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I had actually heard that VERY FEW autos may not have had the option installed on them.

Whatever you do go for a Torsen / Helical Limited Slip Differential it's in the twisties where it will shine! Detroit Locker Truetrac that's where it's all at.

It does have a limited slip. Its part of the GT package....standard equipment on auto's and standards. Easiest way to verify it is jack up the rear end and spin one tire by hand. If the other tire spins in the SAME direction you have limited slip. If the other tire spins in the opposite direction then its not limited slip.

The literature from Ford that I have read indicated that manual
transmission GT's come with traction loc.To confirm this,yesterday
I had my car on a lift and the tires when spun by hand rotated in the
opposite direction.I don't know what years and models are affected,
but for sure,my 07 GT automatic does not have limited slip.Thanks

Well I may have to stand corrected. I do know it's standard with the manual trannys. I will look at my ordering guide today and check on the auto's. It seems you don't have one though if the tires turn in opposite directions. I'll be darn! :eek:

I'll be darned too!When I bought the car new I thought for sure that being a GT,it was standard.The ordering guide provided no indication
that I had to order it separetly therefore I thought it was standard.It
was only recently that I read something that made me go look.So I
guess I'll have to shell out a few more bucks.Thanks again

Posi trac is the GM name. Ford calls it a limited slip differential. Same part, same function, different company, so a different name. Both should turn the wheels the same direction when you rotate 1 wheel.

Having driven and watch my dad's 06 GT (automatic), it sometimes doesn't act like it has a limited slip differential. I suspect it is very soft and allows slippage easily.

Posi trac is the GM name. Ford calls it a limited slip differential. Same part, same function, different company, so a different name. Both should turn the wheels the same direction when you rotate 1 wheel.

Having driven and watch my dad's 06 GT (automatic), it sometimes doesn't act like it has a limited slip differential. I suspect it is very soft and allows slippage easily.

Bingo! Thank you. :nice:

A bit OT, but has anyone used an Auburn Ected E-locker in an S-197? They have the best of both worlds.....completely locked for the strip, limited slip for street driving. I'm considering trying one when I do gears.....

I'll be darned too!When I bought the car new I thought for sure that being a GT,it was standard.The ordering guide provided no indication
that I had to order it separetly therefore I thought it was standard.It
was only recently that I read something that made me go look.So I
guess I'll have to shell out a few more bucks.Thanks again

Have you considered the possibility that your limited slip may just be prematurely worn out, or even defective?
Guys...a limited slip diff. does turn the wheels in the opposite direction when the car is in the air like that, full posi trac is when they turn in the same direction.

Oh...so wrong.

Every V8 Mustang since 1985 has had a Traction-Lok 8.8" differential, regardless of transmission or any other variable. My '07 GT Automatic came standard with the Traction-Lok, as did all S197 GT's. You likely have a defective differential, or don't know how a Traction-Lok axle should feel/behave.

You could always check the gear codes on the door sticker :scratch:

BG — 3.31 — non-limited slip, base vehicle with manual or automatic transmission
CD — 3.55 — limited slip, GT with manual transmission
CG — 3.31 — limited slip, GT with automatic transmission

A limited slip will spin in the opposite direction or else it would be a full locked rear and would not be able to turn, that's why its named "limited slip" to allow you to turn around corners and curves in the road allowing for smaller turning diameter between inside and outside wheels.

Put the transmission in neutral so that the driveshaft can spin. ;) If you have a limited slip that isn't completely toast, it will spin the tires in the same direction. If not or the limited slip is completely toast, it will spin the other wheel the opposite direction.

A limited slip will spin in the opposite direction or else it would be a full locked rear and would not be able to turn, that's why its named "limited slip" to allow you to turn around corners and curves in the road allowing for smaller turning diameter between inside and outside wheels.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong agian....

A healthy limited slip diff will allow for unidirectional rotation of both wheels when the back end is off the ground. The reason for this is that the unit (and to a larger extent the clutches and spacers within the unit) must have applied tension on them at all times in order minimize friction that would prematurely wear and rapidly shorten the life of the clutches within. If the T-loc was allowed to unlock completely anytime there was no load being placed on the axles, it wouldn't last more than a month or two under normal driving conditions.

The "slip" part of the equation is experienced when the wheels are on the ground and the axles are experiencing some form of bidirectional movement under moderate to light acceleration or deceleration. When you take a corner under these conditions, there is a diversion of the energy from one side, or another being transferred through the clutch pack and as such the clutches “slip” against the spacers in the cluster. Because there is now slippage taking place, the inside wheel is allowed to slow its rotation to conform to the road surface and you don’t get the “skittering” that the guys with locked rear ends get when going around the corner.

When you get onto it and the power comes on hard again, the torsional resistance is increased and more energy is transferred through the differential, tightening up clutch pack allowing for even distribution across the unit. This locks the axles (or at least as solid as the stock trac-loc will allow) and both wheels spin evenly.

When a traction lock is worn completely out, (or possibly in this case non existent) there is not enough clutch material left (or at all) in order to create the necessary friction required to lock them together with the spacers when the rear end is under load. Therefore you get the dreaded “one wheel peel” we all hate as a result.

This is not a commentary on who is right or wrong; its simply what I know about testing for limited slip differentials:

First, the direction in which the wheels will spin depends on whether the car is in neutral or not.

In neutral with both wheels in the air, if you spin one, the other will spin in the same direction.

If the car is in gear the wheels will spin in the opposite direction.

If one wheel is on the ground spin the one in the air and it should take a good amount of force to spin, if not, you have an open diff - or a broken LSD.