LOL, Now THIS is rustproofing

crazypete said:
It has the word "ketone" in it. They dont seem to post any MSDS sheets but I'm sure its nasty stuff. I need to be careful with these organic compounds or my kids will come out with 3 arms.

Thats the other thing I loved about the grease. It had no solvents. It was just grease.
Your body produces ketone as a natural product of metabolsim. It is naturally found in urine after you exercise. See http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes-and-exercise/DA00105 for more information

Just don't drink the stuff and you'll be OK.

• Sponsors (?)

FWIW, prolonged exposure to automotive grease and oils have been found by the State of California to cause skin cancer in test rats and mice ... or at least that's what the disclaimers say over and over throughout my Chilton's manuals... ;)

I gotta agree with the above, that's gonna be a horrible work environment if/when you ever have to go under there for servicing anything anytime soon, and it's gonna stink like a mofo if it drips onto your exhaust. But hey, I'm all in favor of ghetto-engineering and exploring cheap alternative methods - I am, after all, the pioneer of the Rolled-On Rustoleum Paintjob (which actually came out ten times better than my prior Wally World Rattle-Can Paintjob)! :D

Darkwriter77 said:
FWIW, prolonged exposure to automotive grease and oils have been found by the State of California to cause skin cancer in test rats and mice ... or at least that's what the disclaimers say over and over throughout my Chilton's manuals... ;)

I always wondered about that.....in this case, wouldnt all car mechanics keel over from skin cancer in short order. I mean they work around automitve oils all day long day in and out. Most of these guys even smell like oil.

Yet somehow they live and a lot of them grow to an old ripe age. A lot of these tests must have been extremes like "dip test rat in 15,000 mile used oil and leave it like that for a week".

Lord knows, I should have cancer by now. I've done nothing for 7 years but paint my car(s) nonstop (which is why I did the grease, got tired of painting nonstop), change oil, drain transmissions and rear ends, you name it. I should be stone cold dead.

jebus kwiest man, that is totally freaking insane, I'd clean that **** up asap, I don't know if i'd want to see one of your paint jobs or not if you'd resort to such a job as that to prevent rust

Grease gobbed into nooks an crannies like that, that have no dust boots, covers, or shields, etc... can actually trap moisture in those areas. Excess grease is NEVER a good idea unless you're pickling a vehicle that will not be service for quite some time.

Now you need a really good underwash to get all that junk out of there.

If you insist on trying to prevent rust with a lubricant, I might have tried a spray graphite or silicon. Something that can be applied very thinly and not attract dust or trap moisture.

Daggar said:
Grease gobbed into nooks an crannies like that, that have no dust boots, covers, or shields, etc... can actually trap moisture in those areas. Excess grease is NEVER a good idea unless you're pickling a vehicle that will not be service for quite some time.

Now you need a really good underwash to get all that junk out of there.

If you insist on trying to prevent rust with a lubricant, I might have tried a spray graphite or silicon. Something that can be applied very thinly and not attract dust or trap moisture.

My grandpa used to do this to his old fiat 800 and his LADA. When you have to wait the better part of a decade for a car, you cannot afford to have it rust at all.

Moisture has nowhere to settle. I was _thorough_ and got every nook and cranny. If moisture gets in there, it sits on top of a THICK layer of grease.

I used to use Silicone in the same fasion. I would pump out 2-3 bottles of tire silicone onto the bottom and get it nice and slicked up but it wouldnt last. If this doesnt work then I'll go back to painting.

As for the pollution, the point is for this stuff to stay put. I'm sure some will fall off but most will stay stuck to the bottom. Grease this thick wont wash into the waterbed. It will stay more or less at the surface level and get sucked up by the mountains of rocksalt/sand that covers most of our roads.
You wana talk about pollution? Imagine what tons of salt does to the environment. I cant grow grass in my backyard cause the water flows down from belmont hill and goes right down my driveway carrying enough salt and crap to kill all my grass.

RandyStinchcomb said:
and when it rains, all that **** is washed off and ends up in our streams, rivers, bays and into the ocean and into the food chain.:nonono: as an outdoorsman/fisherman, you sir are a dick. :chair:

Whoa... calm down there Mr. Tree Hugger Guy. You'd think it was a video of him bashing in the heads of baby seals or something.

I doubt there's anyone here who's not tried something silly that seemed like a good idea at the time.

Henceforward said:
Post back after your first dusty street experience... you are gonna pick up a ton of dirt man.

:owned:

I'm gonna fininsh the underside of the nose frame and then fire it up. We'll see if I get a huge plume of smoke. I'm gonna carry a respirator just in case.

deadlast said:
hey crazy pete, you live in belmont? Iv never seen you around town...

I think since I got my MBTA rail pass, I've driven the car every other weekend at best. It gets harder to prowl the streets with consistency as one gets older and work starts to eat into one's free time.

I live on pleasant street across from stella road and am occasionally found at fortes but mostly found underneath my car in a garage the size of a pillbox. Just look for the column of smoke later this afternoon when I fire this puppy up.

Hey, where do the local stangers hang out?

crazypete said:
Moisture has nowhere to settle. I was _thorough_ and got every nook and cranny. If moisture gets in there, it sits on top of a THICK layer of grease.

I know this sounds like a great idea in theory but you're talking about a vehicle that will be in use. Unless you have a way to "push" the old grease and moisture out then contaminates accumulate at that point. The grease doesn't 'stay put' like a sealant will. If you've ever read through lubrication proceedures for U-joints anything, you'll see a part in there where it tells you to pump new grease into the fittings until you see either:

A) New grease come out of the fitting
--or--
B) Dirt and moisture stop coming out

This comes from 17+ years of lubing/rust prevention of aircraft moving parts. Granted, conditions are not the same in the air as they are on the ground but you're much less likely to pick up contaminates on greasable joints on aircraft than you are on a ground vehicle. It also comes to mind that moisture on your undercarriage is going to be flying around pretty violently at 50+ MPH.

The best rust prevention is and has always been:

Clean / Dry / Servicable

Again... Excess grease is never a good idea.

Henceforward said:
Post back after your first dusty street experience... you are gonna pick up a ton of dirt man.

:owned:

Dust? Dirt? I wouldn't be suprised if there were small animals stuck to the bottom of that car. Some people working on cars are just plain scary.... The funniest part is that you actually spent time on a project like that..