Looking for a block to build up...302 that is

tim_the_toolman

Founding Member
Nov 30, 2001
Nashville TN
I am gonna start keeping my eyes open for a motor to do as a build up while I destroy my current unit. Obviously I can use a fox 302, but what other cars or trucks can I watch for that has a 302 motor that will work will all of my 302 efi stuff? can i go way back into the 60's? what's the difference? are there any paticular motors that are more desirable than others or better than my stock 302 HO for a build up?

• Sponsors (?)

U could put a number of great ford motors in ur pony if u want such as a 351W,u can usaully get those outta junked F-150's,u can get a monster 460 bigblock if u wanted to , the possibilities are endless..
:flag:

any would work. if you want one that is roller ready stick with the newer ones like 85-present. even the truck 302's were roller ready even though they were not all equipped. a 351 would fit and work just like a 302 would. you would only have to buy conversion parts like lower intake,headers,oilpan and distributor

All the 302 production blocks are basically equal, they are all gonna eventually split at around 550 rwhp. The one exception is a '69 boss 302 block (also made in '68 or '70, can't remember), which has 4 bolt mains and should be good to 800-900 rwhp, you will need different pistons if you are able to dig one of these babys up though. If your gonna build a new motor don't waste money on forged goodies if they are going in a 2 bolt block, the stock hyperutectics, rods, and crank are all stronger than the stock block are, if you are rich just buy a Dart block and be done with it, it will be the last one you will ever need unless you screw up majorly. Good Luck! :)

I was looking at some four bolt blocks in the Summit mag but like you said I cant afford 2500 for a block alone. I am shooting for about 400 rwhp with help from a little spray and around 300 rwhp with out juice. So a 2 bolt should work alright. I had heard things like mexican blocks are better, and other such things just wondering if any of it was true.

Yeah lots of hype with messicans and with the sportsman blocks as well. The sportsman was made with 20lbs more material in the main webbing and was "supposedly" cast with a higher nickel content, same with the mexican, thereby making them stronger. Nope they are all around the same, the weak link is in the lifter valley. Any old 5.0 is going to work just fine for what you want with no worries. :D