Looking For A Little Knowledge For My 351w

Jeremy R

Jul 9, 2017
I have read many posts on different builds from a factory rebuilt 351 to 408 builds. I have a complete 69 351. I don't care about et's or huge hp. This is my first ever Ford(I finally got the foxbody I have wanted since I was a kid) I would love to keep the heads so most people would never know it's not a 302. I want to put the best sleeper together I can with decent street manners. Would it be possible to get 400 hp out of a combo with the stock heads bigger valves of course. I plan on scat I beam rods and the crank is fine for what I want. Unsure of whether to switch the block to a roller block. I will be keeping my fuel injection as well. Thanks in advance for any input.

• Sponsors (?)

See https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wrl-053040-1 for some high flow iron cylinder heads.

Due to the extra weight of the 351W engine, most guys go with aluminum heads. The weight savings almost makes the 303 & 351 engines the same weight.

Want a sleeper? Then paint the assembled longblock Ford blue. Very few people will bother to put a magnet on a cylinder head to find out if it is iron or aluminum.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
the 351 used the same heads as the 302ho engine in the mustang. if you want oem iron heads look at a set of explorer heads [gt40 style] they are a marked improvement over the e7. The intake manifold will play a large role in how much potential the engine will have. maybe post some pictures of the stuff you have already acquired. what are you going to tune this engine with??

the 351 used the same heads as the 302ho engine in the mustang. if you want oem iron heads look at a set of explorer heads [gt40 style] they are a marked improvement over the e7. The intake manifold will play a large role in how much potential the engine will have. maybe post some pictures of the stuff you have already acquired. what are you going to tune this engine with??
From what I've read and bench flow tests they 69 351 has that I have now can't hold a little bit bigger valves and flow just as good as GT 40 heads. My goal all motor is just to get this 351 to 400 hp while keeping everything looking as dark as possible whether that be to use a 393 stroker kit or a 408. Currently the 351 that I have it sitting in my shop floor and I was an import guy so I have no clue as to the tuning. With all of my imports it was chipped the EC you take it to the Dyno and let the man tune it

Clean slate

Attachments

• IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    511.8 KB · Views: 147
That can easily be done. Just need to get you the right combo of parts. I have some junk lying around but it's all for a 302, I do have 30lb injectors and a 90mm lightning MAF. In a box in the shed if you can't find what you need. Pm me if your interested once you get to that part of the build.

I think a gt40 style intake would fit your build well but they are pricey. May be better off going the aftermarket on that item.

That can easily be done. Just need to get you the right combo of parts. I have some junk lying around but it's all for a 302, I do have 30lb injectors and a 90mm lightning MAF. In a box in the shed if you can't find what you need. Pm me if your interested once you get to that part of the build.

I think a gt40 style intake would fit your build well but they are pricey. May be better off going the aftermarket on that item.
GT40p heads and ported upper and lower intake be a better option for me possibly? They flow just a little better in stock form.

Here's my thoughts.
I don't think a cammed, stroked 351 is fooling anyone.
It certainly won't sound stock and the lower intake (which is wider and will unlikely to be stock) will give it away to anyone that has a clue.
The next thing will be the injectors will need to be at least 24's (which are blue) or 30's (which are red) which is even more a giveaway that it's not stock.

While I can appreciate your plan, sounds like a lot of money and a lot of work for something sub par.

400rwhp NA is a feat with high end parts for most people.
If you are speaking flywheel hp which would be roughly 340rwhp, I certainly would not use a 351 to meet that goal.

The heads are what make all the power, without good heads you will likely land up with a 351 that makes 302 power.
You will be stuck with all the disadvantages of a 351 and none of the advantages.

If you really want it to be stock looking and run well, i'd probably consider buying an explorer gt40p engine (about $500 compete) swap out the cam, port the heads and intake and go.
It will be lighter, handle and transfer weight better, won't require any swap parts or any large sums of money invested.

Last edited:
Here's my thoughts.
I don't think a cammed, stroked 351 is fooling anyone.
It certainly won't sound stock and the lower intake (which is wider and will unlikely to be stock) will give it away to anyone that has a clue.
The next thing will be the injectors will need to be at least 24's (which are blue) or 30's (which are red) which is even more a giveaway that it's not stock.

While I can appreciate your plan, sounds like a lot of money and a lot of work for something sub par.

400rwhp NA is a feat with high end parts for most people.
If you are speaking flywheel hp which would be roughly 340rwhp, I certainly would not use a 351 to meet that goal.

The heads are what make all the power, without good heads you will likely land up with a 351 that makes 302 power.
You will be stuck with all the disadvantages of a 351 and none of the advantages.

If you really want it to be stock looking and run well, i'd probably consider buying an explorer gt40p engine (about $500 compete) swap out the cam, port the heads and intake and go.
It will be lighter, handle and transfer weight better, won't require any swap parts or any large sums of money invested.
As I do understand where your thought process on this is coming from and you do not understand my thought process on the beginning of this project. And yes the lower intake manifold is wider which some people will pick out but eight out of 10 car guys unless they are strictly hard-core ford guys will not realize this. There are head gaskets on the market that do not have the tabs on me and I do have a set of those now. I do understand a cam and stroked 351 will not sound very stock. I do also have a set of 3 inch electronic cutouts. So thank you for your thoughts on the beginning stages of my build but this is not where this vehicle will stay. Yes eventually this car we will have aluminum heads it will eventually be boosted just like the other four vehicles that I have built. They all get the same treatment and build process. So, you say it is not possible. Thanks for your help bout.

Concealing a 351W: Sharp individual can see the difference via the length intake manifold end strip gaskets. imp
I have a set of gaskets without the tabs. Most people around here can't tell the difference unless you really give them a reason to be suspicious. That's what electric cutouts are for. There is a good reason for a way I am going about this.

It looks like I will be going with a dss stroker kit. I also found a cool little way to paint aluminum heads to give them what looks to be a cast surface. Might open up the door for options. The machine shop bill for those cast heads warrant a good look at aluminum heads.

Reactions: 1 users