Looking for engine combos - "American Iron" type race car

patboy

Oct 22, 2006
Dallas TX
If you were going to create a "american iron series" type racing mustang, but you were going to remain as close to stock as possible (stock displacement of pistions), what would be some engine combos, just throw whatever comes to mine if money was no option. naturally aspirated - no power adders. more specifically im looking for some good cam options, the heads are gonne be around 165cc-180cc sorry thats not the most specific range but they'll be no bigger than 180cc. Thanks for any help

http://image.automotive.com/f/featu..._48_z+american_iron_racing+david_algozine.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

im building a similar car to that but im pretty certain i want a power adder, but with heads i think you're gonna want AFR 185's or something similar in size, the torque curve between the 165 and 185 heads are very similar just the 185's make more horsepower

its finally good to see someone else with the same intrest :nice: i would say look for something thats going to make you more consistent. i think a power adder would not be a good choice since you would have to make boost to get your real power and with taking turns a lot ur ganna want more torque for being in 2nd to 3rd gear mostly. with my car i did a lot of weight reduction to compensate for the mostly stock approach like you said. so just look for some combos that can generate some torque for the turns and keep you consistent. like a idle to 5k cam and head combo. mid range for our cars is pretty good so something to make the mid range even better is a good start.

its finally good to see someone else with the same intrest :nice: i would say look for something thats going to make you more consistent. i think a power adder would not be a good choice since you would have to make boost to get your real power and with taking turns a lot ur ganna want more torque for being in 2nd to 3rd gear mostly. with my car i did a lot of weight reduction to compensate for the mostly stock approach like you said. so just look for some combos that can generate some torque for the turns and keep you consistent. like a idle to 5k cam and head combo. mid range for our cars is pretty good so something to make the mid range even better is a good start.

when are you gonna need idle to 5k on a road course? your not gonna see below 3k on any road course unless its go hair pins, so i dont think i'll have any issues building boost with a centri charger, anyhow different argument for a different thread this was the engine i was going to build before i decided on my 750hp goal (in fact still have this engine setup just 72cc heads and a vortech Si-trim added

Afr 185 Competition heads 62cc
Solid linked Roller lifters
Solid Roller cam
1.7 roller rockers
Edelbrock Performer RPM II
347 Stroker with 4.0cc flat top pistons
long tube headers
42lb injectors
any aftermarket fuel rails/system
Any sort of aftermarket block
setup like that should be good for around 450hp with a nice torque curve for a road course