Loss in Power

I have a 95 mustang GT 5.0 and I've upgraded all the small things on it such as fuel pump plugs wires coil... But all of a sudden it has lost a lot of power and it's not letting me get into high rpms any one have any advice

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 95 mustang GT 5.0 and I've upgraded all the small things on it such as fuel pump plugs wires coil... But all of a sudden it has lost a lot of power and it's not letting me get into high rpms any one have any advice
usually if the engine has a loss of power and its not letting you hit high rpms its probably the computer hitting a fuel cut off somewhere in the maping. its like a safety thing cars do, anytime you change anything to do with fuel and its a upgrade you have to get it tuned, same thing with the coils. if you brought a upgraded pump then usually you have to tune the computer to give it the OK, its not going to self adjust itself on something thats not OEM

usually if the engine has a loss of power and its not letting you hit high rpms its probably the computer hitting a fuel cut off somewhere in the maping. its like a safety thing cars do, anytime you change anything to do with fuel and its a upgrade you have to get it tuned, same thing with the coils. if you brought a upgraded pump then usually you have to tune the computer to give it the OK, its not going to self adjust itself on something thats not OEM

This isn't true at all for the 94-95's - as long as your fuel pump is putting out somewhere over 39psi (which is the max the regulator will allow it to get to), and adequate or more than adequate flow, you don't need to do any such thing. Perhaps on a car that provides variable voltage to the fuel pump to regulate pressure that may be true, but not for our cars. Tuning for an improved coil is also never necessary under almost any condition. However, I do agree that certain coils (like MSD most of the time) are often DOA and cause problems.

Not letting you get into high RPM's and lost power isn't very descriptive. That could be anything from fuel pressure, bad gas, electrical (distributor problems are common on our cars), electronic, or mechanical damage (a clogged exhaust or catalytic converter for example, a slipped timing chain, or even a loss of compression), or even a blown transmission or frozen up brakes. We'd need some more information - what happened exactly, what did you do right before it happened, and under what precise conditions is this problem noticeable? Anything else to go with it - fuel smell, stalling, does it when it's hot, etc, etc.

I also agree that pulling codes is a reasonable start, though many things don't result in codes on our old OBDI cars.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user