lots of exhaust issues--HELP please :(

tthree

Apr 9, 2005
I have a 90 5.0 gt vert that I bought from a second owner last summer. When I bought it I was told that he had just put a new magnaflow offroad x-pipe on it. (please forgive me if I don't sound knowledgable about these thigns...truth is I'm not, but I have enough friends who are to get through The biggest problem I noticed was that it got terrible gas mileage. The power was fine, compression was sitting at 150 on all cylinders, etc but I was getting 15 mpg on the highway, as opposed to my friend w/ an 89 5.0 lx getting 25'ish. My guess was that this was the cats, and the engine was not really being efficient at burning gas.

Now on to recently. This past summer it was leaking oil a little bit so I took off the intake manifold (all with the help of friends) and the covers and put all new gaskets on for everyhting (i painted them all while they were off too). Tihs solved the oil leak, but when everything was put back together I got a check engine light . I took it to autozone and they said it was a vacume leak dealing w/ the EGR valve. He said it probably had more to do w/ the cats and o2 sensors than anything I had touched. I also noted immediately after this that when i start it from cold, it stalls out as soon as i put it into drive if i dont' rev it a bit. Once it's goign or i've reved it just like 2 seconds it's fine. Also power has been down a little bit.

Now I'm trying to sovle both that whole situation and the gas mileage. Do I need cats? Do i need to mess w/ O2 sensors? Did I break something? lol

any help would be greatly appreciated. I have plenty of people who know what they're doing helping me w/ actually doign stuff, so if you have any suggestions that would be fabulous.

• Sponsors (?)

i would check the rear gears first....if there are big gears in it...your not gonna see 25 mpg , which i have had 4 5.0's and have never gotten that much. the most was w/ a 5-speed and 2.73 geared car on the freeway got maybe 24 on fresh synthetic oil change.

anyway...yeah the off-road pipe will foul out the 02's

and the idling prob could be the idle air bypass , but could be anyones guess.

check your gears by raising the back end, chalk your driveshaft, and tire...make 1 complete revolution of the tire and count how many times the ds turns...it will be like 2 3/4 = 2.73

just barely over 3 = 3.08
3 1/2 = 3.55

3 3/4 = 3.73
over 4=4.10

i doubt the gearset is higher than that
but you should check

The gears are 3.73's

I'm getting on a full tank like 150 miles...is that normal?
It's a standard stock 5.0 w/ cold air and KN filter....um fairly recent oil change but it's synthetic blend.

on average how fast go on the freeway. your speed with 3.73's is ver important. i usually go around 65-70 and i get 280 on a full tank all highway. if your going liek 80 everyday your gas will just evaporate

tthree said:
The gears are 3.73's

I'm getting on a full tank like 150 miles...is that normal?
It's a standard stock 5.0 w/ cold air and KN filter....um fairly recent oil change but it's synthetic blend.

I have 3.73's in mine as well. I see about the same amount of gas milege as you are. Of course, I can't drive mine without romping on it... :D 3.73 is a great gear for street and track. Go with a off-road x-pipe. It won't only solve your o2 problem but your exhaust will sound alot better (louder). Good Luck!

notchback said:
anyway...yeah the off-road pipe will foul out the 02's

Is that true? I can't think of anything that is different between a stock piece and aftermarket as far as the 02's are concerned... please expand on this statement :D

Tthree is there anyway you can find out what the code was that they found at autozone? As far as gas mileage being down there are many many factors that could affect it. So a little more info would be helpful. Just for argument sake in my 2003 s-10 gas mileage increases by about 10-15% simply by opening the talegate. I would hate to actually know how bad my vert hurts me.. there are so many air leaks with the top up that I probably have more drag with it up than down :p