Engine Loud Bang

mustangman9530

May 5, 2015
hey guys o am new to the site and just needing some opinions. I have a 1998 mustang 4.6 sohc. O have had a ticking noise for awhile and I just let it go thinking it was no big deal and last week I was cruising about 80 and all of a sudden I lost all horsepower and heard this very loud banging noise. I only lost power for a split second but now the low ticking has turned into a lout clanging noise. I used a screwdriver and determined it was coming from around the front side of the right of the motor. I did a compression test and all cylinders held 150-155 lbs. Except number 1 which held 135. I also have white smoke from tailpipes. I started tearing the motor down and I got the timing cover off last night no broken guides or chains to speak of all rockers/valves look good. What is going on?

Nothing is impossible. But you are looking at a total engine rebuild if it is a rod. My son's Cobra had a rod knocking and I got quotes of 4 grand to fix. Block may need to be milled if it is even salvageable. Found a used engine for $2800.

Ok so once I get the heads off will I be able to see if the rods are broken or messed up? Planning on doing all the work myself. The way I see it is I can't mess it up anymore right lol.

ok ya sounds a little to pricy for my blood. But I have been doing all the work myself and plan on doing the rest I plan on getting at least the right side head off tonight. what do I need to do verify that it would be a rod?

Yes...once the heads are off you should see any damage...but this is out of the realm of my knowledge. Before you tear it down you may want to make sure that is the problem.

Did you take your heads off? If you didn't yet, start the motor and remove the COPs one at a time. The rod knock should stop when you take the right cop off.
Ok new problem. tore engine completely part replaced rod bearing. Put everything back together and now won't start. I didn't mark anything timing wise so I am fairly certain that timing is the monster. Car does turn over and one Time backfired pretty sure because I primed the lines too much as I was trying to fill the lines up from where I emptied the fuel lines. Anyways I was hoping for a very very detailed guide on how to reset my timing plz help.

Timing is critical on these engines. If you continue to try to start it, you chance a valve connecting with a piston which could cause piston breakage, rod damage, valve damage, cam damage, etc. I just rebuilt my 4.6 with a DSS 5.0 Stroker kit due to valve clearance issues. Mine failure was caused by having too big a cam and not enough clearance between the valves and the pistons at high speeds.

I would highly recommend you get a Chiltons and follow the exact steps to install your cam chains. to the timing marks. There are two links on each chain which are brighter/shiner than the others which is how you align the cams TDC to Piston #1 TDC.

Cam Installation Good reference site with pics!
Good luck!