low compression/wide cam problem

67rcks

Feb 20, 2008
I have long deck 302 block, and I need to gain some compression to wake up this engine. Wondering about milling those .030". Wondering how far is it possible to go? Can I have piston at TDC above the block let's say 0.01" with regular gasket 0.04" thick?

The engine has some 8.78:1 (218/228 cam) making only 130 cranking psi.
What pressures are safe to use pump gas with cast iron heads?

I would like to avoid replacing pistons due to their cost. What I see on every corner are expensive performance forged pistons prized $500+ while regular cast dish pistons cost 80-100 US/set. Yet are there any OE domed pistons fitting sbf? Looking for -6cc maybe -8cc.

• Sponsors (?)

You can get custom cometic head gaskets that would shink those values and gain the same deal.

You could also check into what that cam is made for and if you could advance it some to pick up some cranking compression / low end.

d2OE heads (58.2cc). the cam timing is measured at .050" lift, otherwise it is 280/290. So I should rather play with valve timing instead of milling the deck/head?

so: intake opens right at TDC, exhaust closes 5°ATDC, measured at .050". Would that make sense to advance intake opening to e.g. 3° BTDC and leave only 2° for exhaust ATDC?

Advancing by 3 degrees would make exhaust valve open at 56° BBDC instead of 53° BBDC. Would that have any negative impact on performance?