Low oil level sensor - How does it work?

I was just curious as to how this sensor worked.

LRS-6624A.jpg

I have this on the side of my oil pan, and it seems to be slowly seeping oil out the center. Is there supposed to be anything plugged into it? Is changing it as easy as taking it out then putting the new one back in? Is it common for these to seep oil? Is anything connected to it in any way? I can keep going here :D

Thanks! :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

Its a Float type sensor. If you look you can see the small cylinder shape float in the inside of housing. Oil level gets low, and it grounds to the housing and the light comes on. usually there is a wire coming out of the middle of the sensor with a small round connector on it, if the car in question uses one.

Thanks for the reply. Mine doesn't have a wire coming out of it. Maybe one of the previous owners removed it for some reason.

Is there anything I can do to block it? I read that a 20mm drain bolt fits in there, do you think that's a wise solution?

I do not care if the sensor does not work. I'm used to regularly checking oil.

My 1991 has the oil level sensor coming out the side of the oil pan with a wire attached to it. The corresponding dash light tests functional when I first turn on the key and start.

I don't think the sensor should be too expensive.

In my opinion, having the sensor could be worth it given what could happen with low oil. Granted, the oil pressure sensor will eventually come on if things degenerate to that point - but that is a desperate place to be.

I'm like you and monitor my oil closely, and nobody but me drives the car. But, in case of other driver, the low oil light may end up saving the day.

Find out how much the sensor is and make a judgment call.

Good luck!

It's not the problem of price, but if my wire has been unplugged from the sensor, and as far as I can tell I can't find in anywhere under there, I don't want to have to spend $70.00 (Fords price) for nothing.

I may just go the 20mm drain bolt route, but I'd be curious to find out why the sensor was unplugged in the first place. The Low Oil light does come on when I turn the key to on, then shuts off after the car is started.