Low Oil Level Sensor Leaking Oil...

TheUser

Jul 25, 2003
Springfield, MO
I searched multiple times w/ no result...

I'm not sure if it's technically ironic (I remember Yount corrected someone on the irony/paradox thing one time :rlaugh:), but on the 90 LX, the low oil lever sensor (I would think it's a switch since it controls a gauge :shrug: ) is leaking oil...not where it bolts into the oil pan, but from where the actual sensor electrical part actually goes into the metal part. I might have to take a pic, but I'm not real sure what to do since I can't figure out how to remove the it.

Any Ideas? My Ford shop manual shows how to replace the whole unit, but not necessarily how to fix this problem. Do I have to buy a whole new unit?

• Sponsors (?)

Had the same problem. I was THINKING mine was just the gasket around the sensor so I ordered one for it. After replacing the gasket I discovered it was actually the sensor it's self leaking like you are talking about and after removing it and reinstalling it I had made the leak much worse.

No one locally had a low oil level sensor in stock. So I just went to the hardware store and found a large bolt the same thread as the sensor and used that and a washer to "delete" the sensor all together. As long as you check your oil regularly it works fine. If I hadn't needed the car and been in a hurry I would have ordered the correct part, but it was my daily driver and I had to have it. That was a year ago and it has never leaked another drop.

hmm, yeah I mean I want the sensor, but I don't have big $$ to pay for one. I can't even find it on the autozone website and they couldn't find it when I was in the store either. How exactly do you install the new sensor anyway? There's no connector to unplug...the wires go up into the loom w/ the o2 wiring.

I don't think autozone or any other parts store carries them thats why I couldn't find one when I needed one. You can order one from www.50resto.com though or try the local dealership. I didn't pay that much attention to mine, but I "THINK" you have to cut the wire on the old one to remove it. Thats how I removed it anyway.

TheUser said:
hmm, yeah I mean I want the sensor, but I don't have big $$ to pay for one. I can't even find it on the autozone website and they couldn't find it when I was in the store either. How exactly do you install the new sensor anyway? There's no connector to unplug...the wires go up into the loom w/ the o2 wiring.

It`s easy to replace.Drain the oil,pull the electrical connector out of the sensor then remove the sensor with the right size wrench or socket.My 89` shop manual say`s it`s 26mm or 1 inch.
Tighten the new one to 15-25 lb-ft.

sounds easy, but I've pulled and twisted that electrical connection and it's not coming out for me. I really don't want to break it, so i just put some silicone around it and reinstalled it. That should stop the leaking...if not, then I might resort to other measures of removing the sensor.

TheUser said:
sounds easy, but I've pulled and twisted that electrical connection and it's not coming out for me. I really don't want to break it, so i just put some silicone around it and reinstalled it. That should stop the leaking...if not, then I might resort to other measures of removing the sensor.

Why not just replace the sensor? Have you tried to soak it with PB Blaster to loosen the harness?

TheUser said:

My electrical connector came off easy when I replaced mine.On the plastic electrical connector theres a round ridge that expands two small metal wires inside the hole where the connector pushes in.When you push in the connector the round ridge expands the two wires then the connector is held in place by the two wires at the back of the ridge.

It should come out.The silicone should work if you were able to clean/degrease the area well.