Low Vacuum

ID89GT

10 Year Member
May 26, 2008
Spokane Valley, WA
Okay so I am starting to get my car ready for Spring time weather. My main problem I want to take care of is the car only draws 5 inches of vacuum at idle. The carb is recently rebuilt and no matter what the metering screws are turned to the vacuum does not change at all. The car also acted like my 89 did when I first start it up cold and wants to die like a vacuum leak, but I don't have any vacuum lines coming off it except one.

The car has a 351, it has mechanical flat tappet cam which is all new to me as well. I can get the specs if you need them, will just need to find the specs card, but I was told it was not big enough to only pull that low of vacuum. The compression is at 152 all around and the motor is all rebuilt. The base timing is also set at 12 degrees, but the car is constantly pulling advance and is up to 20-35 degrees at idle..

Where should I start looking to find what is causing my problem? The only vacuum line on the whole car is used for the distributor, everything else is blocked off.

Also I don't know if it would affect the vacuum or not, but there is a constant oil burning on the passenger head, which is rpm specific to how much it burns. The higher the rpms, the more blue smoke that comes out..

Just want to get this all good for Spring/Summer, so all help will be appreciated..

:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

The probablity is that the gasket between the intake manifold and head slipped out of place when the lower intake manifold was installed. The blue smoke from the exhaust only on one side of the engine is the tip off clue.