Lower Intake Bolt removal help!!!!

StangLou

Jul 9, 2003
Holly Springs, NC
Ok, heres the deal. On my stock lower intake, the bolt behind the thermostat is stuck. I broke 2 sockets, bought a set of Kobalt sockets, and tried her a third time. Ratchet started turning but it didnt feel right. Low and behold, I have sockets that wont break, they simply shave the metal from the bolt head. I sprayed some pb buster on it last night, and let it sit overnight. Hammered a 12mm socket down onto it (13mm was what slightly stripped) and tried again. I couldnt budge the thing :bang:
My train of thought now is to heat the bad boy to get it off. Whats the safest way to do this??? Fuel pressure is completely relieved, fuel rails and injectors are off as well. I plan on trying to plug the injector ports, rinse off the bare metal where some fuel spilled taking off the rails/injectors (better safe than sorry), and getting one of the propane torches to heat that bad boy up. Then quickly slap a socket on it and HOPEFULLY it comes off with that.
Anyone else have any ideas, or safety precautions I forgot lol. Id hate to try and heat a bolt and blow the freaking car up!!!

Thanks guys!!!

• Sponsors (?)

buy yourself an impact driver that you drive with a hammer (manually) its 3/8" drive, then hammer on it, it should come loose........an impact driver can be bought at a local autoparts for around $18
good luck
Jack