Lowering my Stang

yakpimp

Apr 20, 2004
Hi, Im new here, and here is my first question. I want to lower the front and rear end of my 98 stang, and found the springs for 99 dollars online, I am not that car savy, and I need to know how tough this is to do. I have a spring compressor in the garage, but does anyone have alink on how to install, and how long it actually takes to do. Any help is great, thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

First of all, use the search function at the top of the page as this type of question has been asked a thousand times.

Secondly, to answer your question:

What kind of springs did you get for $99? If they're cheap pieces of crap, you will regret it.

It may or may not take you the better part of the day in order to install new springs depending on how many people you have helping, the type of tools you have, and many jacks you are using, and if you bought shocks/struts and C/C plates.

Really, all there is to it, is jacking the car up, supporting each of the control arms as you go, and...

Lower the LCA's down pretty far, unbolt the shocks struts.
Compress the spring, use the spring compressor.
Lower LCA till spring falls out.
Unbolt the other end of the shock/strut.
Replace shock/strut with new ones.
Put new spring in, raise LCA into place, and bolt the shock/strut back in place.

Depending on how low you go, if over 1.5"-2", you need to put on caster camber plates. Read directions that come with them for the how-to.

Then go get an alignment.

People will tell you to drive around on the springs for a week after an initial alignment, and then go get another alignment, which just ins't true. This, being that if your springs didn't settle all the way within the fist 20 minutes of them being installed, then their tensile strength is crap, and you will forever be getting alignments until the car finally bottoms out.

A how-to...
http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/steedaspring1.htm

I was actually looking for a search button after i registered, and I failed to see one, but now i look up and it bites me right in the face, thanks for the info, the springs i got were eibach. Are those good?

Those should do fine. I was just inquiring to make sure you didn't pick up some POS brand off eBayMotors that would end up compressing overtime or rotting off the car.

You can also get a good idea of how people feel about certain products from the REVIEWS tab located way at the top right of the page. In your case, this link...

http://reviews.stangnet.com/Suspension/

People here don't say, "Use the search button," because they are sick of answering the same questions (well some of us are), but because these questions have been covered to death and the information you are looking for has probably already been covered in detail before. That's just a public service anouncement...

yakpimp said:
I was actually looking for a search button after i registered, and I failed to see one, but now i look up and it bites me right in the face, thanks for the info, the springs i got were eibach. Are those good?

$99 Eibachs eh?

Are they used or brand new?

Just curious but either way, it's a smokin deal.

BTW, there is no such thing as crappy or POS springs. Just depends what your looking for as far as ride quality, handling, etc.

Actually, there are POS and crappy springs out there. Take a stroll through eBayMotors and see for yourself. Other companies don't put the time and effort into R&D and produce lousy products.

There have been people here that put those bargain springs on, and in six months had to ditch them because they started to rust or the ride height changed.

MarvinMyCat said:
Actually, there are POS and crappy springs out there. Take a stroll through eBayMotors and see for yourself. Other companies don't put the time and effort into R&D and produce lousy products.

There have been people here that put those bargain springs on, and in six months had to ditch them because they started to rust or the ride height changed.

Like I stated, erbody is different. :nice: